Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp pavilion 15 bc400nv
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have pavilion 15 bc400nv do i have to remove hdd to boot from m2 nvme? After i installed the nvme on my laptop i went to UEFI bios and tried to change to boot from the nvme but it didn't show up so i went and made a new volume from disk management i formatted the nvme to gpt and then i run antivirus on the hdd and i defragment the hdd and i cloned the disk on the nvme using Samsung migration. After thatthe laptop turned off i went in to UEFI bios  and still no nvme for boot option when i checked the disk management the nvme was offline i turned it on and it was working fine but still couldn't boot from the nvme. I searched online to see fixes and i come across one that said that i have to remove the hdd and leave only the nvme inside to boot from it. Should i try it ?

Thank you for your time i will gladly accept any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, I think you should try that.  Temporarily disconnect the 2.5" drive and see if the notebook automatically boots from the SSD.

Also...if there is an operating system on the 2.5" drive, the notebook will always want to boot from that first.

So, if the SSD works fine without the drive connected, I would format the 2.5" drive so that there is no boot sector and just use it for storage.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, I think you should try that.  Temporarily disconnect the 2.5" drive and see if the notebook automatically boots from the SSD.

Also...if there is an operating system on the 2.5" drive, the notebook will always want to boot from that first.

So, if the SSD works fine without the drive connected, I would format the 2.5" drive so that there is no boot sector and just use it for storage.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your time. i will try it and i will report back to you! just one more thing my laptop doesn't have removable battery so if i want to remove the hdd do i have to drain the battery?

Again thank you for your time!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

All you need to do is to unplug the battery, you don't have to drain it.

See the service manual, chapter 5, pages 38 & 39.

Maintenance and Service Guide HP Pavilion Notebook PC

You installed the NVMe drive with the internal battery hooked up?

If so, you were lucky nothing got shorted out.

HP Recommended

I had installed the nvme drive after i drained the battery so i thought it was safe,im extremely lucky.I'll be more careful and unplug the battery. Thank you so for your time and for the clarification!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

I hope you are able to get the notebook to boot from the NVMe drive after doing the above steps.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much i removed the HDD and i kept in only the nvme SSD and it boot up perfectly 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Enjoy the fast performance of your notebook's NVMe SSD.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.