Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

While in Facebook I find that I occasionally have to restart my computer if I want to get by the home page to read a post or play a game. This is a daily occurrence and once restarted everything is fine until later in the day when it happens again and I must restart the computer once more. This will happen multiple times and some times right after restarting.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@bettlebomb I suggest you go to Facebook > Settings > Adverts and did deactivate all the Ad companies in the links provided in the section:
"Adverts Based on Your Use of Websites or Apps Outside of Facebook"

If that doesn't do the trick, you may want to check with an alternate browser or contact Facebook for further support.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@bettlebomb Thanks for sharing your concern with the HP Community,

here's what I'll need, so I may be able to provide an accurate solution:

What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: click here

• (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.)
    • Have you attempted any steps on your own before posting on the HP Forums?
  • When was the last time it worked without these issues? 
  • Have you attempted a system restore?
  • Did you run a hardware test on the computer using the F2 key during a restart?
  • Is the device hanging or freezing before you would have to restart it?

Please reply with the details for further assistance.

Eager to help!

To thank me for my efforts to help you,

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Thanks for your help Riddle_Decipher

• My attempts to fix have been limited as I am not tech savvy. I did turn off the auto-restart function in the hope that any error messages would show up but that has not helped. 
  • The laptop is only 4 months old and i don't remember when this specifically started to happen but I do know that I have experienced similar problems from the beginning.
  • No I have not attempted a system restore.
  • I have not run the hardware test in the matter you have suggested.
  • The device has not recently hung up or froze before restoring. I can still navigate around on the Facebook home page and other programs. It only happens when I try to open a post or a game. I do recall it did occasional freeze shortly after I got the computer but it has not happen recently.

Thanks again,

Bettlebomb

HP Recommended

@bettlebomb Please go ahead and attempt a system restore: click here for details,

Also, if the issue persists, I recommend you perform a hardware test using the below steps and get back to us with the results:

Install the latest version of the HP Hardware diagnostics (UEFI) on your device using this link: Click here for details

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  • On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.
  • Click Extensive Test.
  • Click Run once, or Loop until error.
  • While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Looking good so far after the system restore. I am going to keep this request open for a couple more days before closing it if that is ok.?

Thanks again and have a great 2020.

Bettlebomb

HP Recommended

@bettlebomb That's awesome, and yes, please observe the device for a few days, 

If the issue is resolved for good, just select the "accept as solution" button on my post.

You have a happy new year too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have been out of town and away from my computer for a number of days so I was unable to observe this issue much in recent history. However it happened to me again yesterday and I wanted to mention something to you before going to the next step. This issue appears to happen immediately after I "wake up" the computer when it has not been touched for a while. Could some aspect not be fully reloading after the computer hibernates?

HP Recommended

@bettlebomb Does this mean you never turn off the device, you only hibernate or put it on sleep when not in use? If yes,I recommend turning it off to save power and have the computer working at its optimal performance, perhaps, you can shut down the device and restart it, when done, then check if it works.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

No I shut it down every night and do a cold restart the next morning every day. I don't shut it down throughout the day but let it go into power saving mode when I walk away for a period of time.

HP Recommended

Some added info

After my computer went to sleep recently I was unable to even get into this site, HP Support Assistant, and eventually it said "Log In Timed Out" so I had to restart.

On Facebook, when I attempt to go past the home page during these incidents,  there is a message in the bottom left hand corner that says "waiting for 2-edge-chat.facebook.com". On different sites at different times the number in the message changes - sometimes it is 2, sometimes it is 3, sometimes it is 5 sometimes it is 6.

Hope that helps.

Bettlebomb

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.