DoninPS Tutor
Tutor
10 7 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I need a Windows 7 install disc and product key!

Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
I desperately need a Windows 7 install disc and it's product key. The machine has been running Windows 10 for over a year, but Microsoft tells me I have to take it back to its original Windows 7 to get it running.

I'm currently a retired professional, but I'm desperate to get back to the workplace, and must have the computer to accomplish that. Catch 22: Can't afford much right now, until I'm working again. Otherwise I would have bought a new one or a tablet.
5 REPLIES 5
Provost Provost
Provost
38205 38025 5805 10091
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What computer is this (model or product number)? What Windows version came with it? Is there a Key Code sticker on the bottom or inside the battery bay? Gotta question the advice that you have to take it back to Windows 7 and it is much easier to get Windows 10 recovery media. So help us help you and give a little more information, please. 

0 Kudos
DoninPS Tutor
Tutor
10 7 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My computer is an HP 549DX Notebook. It originally came with Windows 7. Yes, there's a product sticker on the back, very hard to read because of wear. I've had misgivings about the concept of taking it back to Windows 7 - wouldn't that then require me to purchase Windows 10 since it's no longer free? Since I wrote that SOS, I've been wondering if the install file just needs the driver files that it mentions, and that seem to be missing from the System 32 files in System in Windows. However, it will not accept the driver files in windows.old, so I'm stuck trying to find the (W10) driver files it requests. I did try a W10 install with the Windows 7 product key, which it said is invalid. Sources for W10 recovery software?
0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
38205 38025 5805 10091
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you had Windows 10 on it and it was activated all you need to do is go to the Microsoft Media Creation Tool page and download the disk image or just ask the Creation Tool to make a DVD or thumb drive for reinstalling Windows 10. You need no Key Code. It will automatically activate the first time you connect it to the internet. If it asks for a Key Code you just click "skip".

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

0 Kudos
Kiva1 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Your a lifesaver.I could  hug  you..Thank  you...

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
38205 38025 5805 10091
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No hugs but "Accept as Solution" is the virtual equivalent. 

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation