Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to talk to someone to help me do the upgrade mentioned above. I need to encrypt me hard drive.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Ira3041 

My key concern is the remark you made about drive encryption.  Some new model laptops come with their drives already encrypted using BitLocker.  If yours is the case, then do NOT, repeat, NOT do a BIOS update as that will lock you out of your PC and it will cost you dearly to get back in.

Instead, go into the BitLocker settings and use the option to save the recovery key off to a USB stick and print it, as well.  

That way, if you actually DO the BIOS update, when that is done and you reboot, you will get a BitLocker screen demanding the recovery key -- and you will have it at hand.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately your answer does not apply to me as my computer was purchased in 2015.

I did contact HP technical support and they helped me to upgrade my BIOS and TPM and encrypt my computer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.