Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
15-1337wm
Unknown

I updated some drivers on my laptop because it was being a little slow, and when I went to start it up today it said system disabled and was asking for a startup password

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

The system was slow and now no boot. Sounds like a failing hard drive was causing the slow down- and possibly it also triggered the prompt for a password. 6 months ago we could have attempted to help with a passcode for start up and if successful then some troubleshooting to check the drive to see if a new one was needed. However, changes in the rules do not allow us to help with passcodes now. The only option is to call HP who will most likely offer to change the motherboard for a fee.If the drive did fail that will be another fee unless you opt to change it yourself.

Probably more practical to start shopping for a new laptop.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.