Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
energy star
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I am trying to change the boot options so that I can re-install windows from a disc.  I have gone into the boot options and set it to boot from external DVD drive, but it still boots up the current windows

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@TonyPmcfc 

IF your BIOS settings have something known as Secure Boot, that prevents the PC from booting from anything other than the internal drive.  So, you have to hunt through the settings, and if that is there, disable it.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for your help.  I did check the settings and secure boot was disabled.  So i am no nearer solving the problem.  I have tried booting from internal DVD, external DVD and USB stick, but no matter what I enter into the BIOS as a boot order, the laptop still automatically boots up from the OS

HP Recommended

@TonyPmcfc 

Sorry to hear that -- but one more thing you can check is if there is a BIOS/UEFI setting that disables booting from portable devices.  I had problems booting an EliteDesk from a USB stick and I stumbled upon this in the UEFI settings -- and once I disabled that, it could see and boot from the USB stick.

HP Recommended

Thanks again, but no, I can't see anything in the settings that say such.  I have re-set the boot order to boot from USB Stick, External DVD, Internal DVD and then OS.  Enabled legacy support and disable legacy support, but it still refuses to do anything but boot from the OS

HP Recommended

@TonyPmcfc 

Sorry -- don't know what else to try.

HP Recommended

Thanks for trying.  It's a bit annoying as I have two of these machines.  You'd think that HP would offer some support.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.