Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP2000
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

About six months ago, my laptop was hacked by my roommates, who hid the hard drive behind a "secret home group" and left me with only a local file and no permissions to check or use any system logs. I couldn't do anything, because I only had "read only" privileges. They had somehow overridden my permissions, but I'm not sure how they did it. They managed to download hidden software and basically stole my identity. (Thank goodness it's not worth stealing)

I ended up buying a new computer with Windows 10 (which I absolutely hate), and I'm wondering if it's possible to get back into my old laptop, but I had lost access to the recovery functions (even in Safe Mode) when they started screwing with it.

If I remember correctly, I can get through the lock screen by entering the password, but when the light blue signin screen comes up, it's "encrypted" in what looks to be wingdings. Someone suggested they may have just removed a font.

In any case, I'm wondering if there is anyway to get in and salvage the computer, even if I have to turn it back to factory reset with Windows 8.1.

I have a USB, but I can't find anything that will help me get into the computer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@GoingcrazyinNYS, you are welcome.

I am happy to know that the issue has resolved and the computer is working fine.

I also appreciate your time and patience in following the steps which resolved the issue with the printer.

Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Please click on Accept Solution to help others with similar issues. If you appreciate my assistance, please click on the thumbs up icon. Both icons are below this post.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@GoingcrazyinNYS

I would like to take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. I understand from your post that your HP 2000 PC was hacked and now it seems to be encrypted. I read that you can enter your password and login, but it doesn't get far. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job. Maybe I can help.

I may not be able to encrypt it for you, however, we can try to perform a system recovery on it. System recovery will delete all data and reinstall the original factory image on your PC. You may have to contact HP Smart Freind Services via HP phone support and check if they can remove the encryption for you. You can reach phone support by filling out a web form on www.hp.com/contacthp.

In case you would prefer to perform a system recovery then I suggest you to refer to this link: http://hp.care/2c7wZSQ

Feel free to let me know how it goes. I'm always here to support. Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended

Thank you for your answer and suggestion.

After 15 hours, using 3 different computers and (thankfully!) a list of passwords, as well as HP Support Videos, I was able to disengage the Local User Password, Repair the OS, and generally it's up and running.

I was also able to use the knowledge to check the condition of another system, as well.

It was a long day/night, but I learn by doing. Thanks again!

Spoiler

HP Recommended

@GoingcrazyinNYS, you are welcome.

I am happy to know that the issue has resolved and the computer is working fine.

I also appreciate your time and patience in following the steps which resolved the issue with the printer.

Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Please click on Accept Solution to help others with similar issues. If you appreciate my assistance, please click on the thumbs up icon. Both icons are below this post.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.