Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey folks,

So I have a problem that started yesterday when I turned on the laptop. I go the following on screen message:

The CMOS checksum is invalid.
The CMOS will be reset to the default configuration and will be rebooted.
Please check your BIOS Setup options to see if they changed.
CMOS Reset (502)
ENTER - Reboot the system

So I hit enter and immediately did a BIOS update by using the Windows + B key which completed successfully. For good measure I also changed the internal battery.

This was fine for around 25mins to which the computer then shut down on its own and wont not start. When I hit the power button the light comes on but the fan does not spin up (cant check for drive spin as it has an SSD). The charge led indicates correctly and when I hold down the power button for 5 seconds or so the power button light does go off.

When I leave the laptop for 1 hour or so it does turn on into the "CMOS Checksum error" and then boots correctly but after 5 to 10 minutes it shuts down again and wont turn on. as before.

I have checked a few obvious things such as the seating of the ram sticks, power from the adaptor and any internal obvious shorts but cant see anything. At this stage I am inclined to a capacitor fault but though I would post to see if I am missing something.

Thanks

Stuart

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@stuartswanos

Welcome to HP support community.

Follow the steps mentioned in this document to fix this issue:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I followed those steps today as I called for support and now I have an even worse problem.

Laptop will now turn on with the fan spinning up however screen is blank and I now get 5 long caps lock blinks followed by 3 short ones. After reading this error online it looks like my laptop is now bricked.

Thanks

Stuart

HP Recommended

@stuartswanos

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.