Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP 14-dk0024wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After doing a full reset of the computer, it intermittently won't turn on. When I press the power button it doesn't respond at all (no beeps, no codes, no flashing lights) at times and at other times it starts right up. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Dependableskele 

WHY did you force a full reset? 

If the PC was running SLOW, this is nearly always a hardware issue, and since reset is a Software issue, not only will that not fix it, it will often make it worse.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I did a factory reset because the computer was running very slowly. I think it may be a battery issue because it sometimes boots up and runs normally and most other times doesn't respond at all. I updated all the drivers and did the full windows update. I may have to take it apart and take out the battery. Thoughts?

HP Recommended

So, I opened up the laptop, took the battery out and drained the static, and it started and booted up, but showed a "cmos checksum is invalid," error but then was able to open up. I checked for updates and installed all of the necessary updates thinking that might solve the problem, but...

when I shutdown the computer it wouldn't start up again without doing a static drain either with the battery in alone or just with the charger attached. And, it kept showing the "cmos" error each time.

So, the only way for me to start the computer is to drain static for at least 30 seconds each time with the battery removed...

Any thoughts?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.