Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy 17-n002ne
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

As per the heading, I've got a Envy 17-n002ne the laptop was turning on with the battery inserted but it has been left a long time and now the laptop has stopped turning on. I think the battery may have died (to low voltage) and now wont charge.

I know most Laptops will turn on without a battery inserted  but his one will not and I wonder if it should be able to?

when plugged in the power light next to the power port goes white, if the battery is added it goes orange then white.

Surly I should be able to use without a battery attached?

Thanks for any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Fear0205 

OK.  

I realize I am pointing you to information to which you already have access and may have already read.  

The User manual appears to indicate you merely need to plug in the computer to a power source (AC power).  It does not say whether this works with a completely dead battery - that is likely the key.

That said, I don't think it matters what the manual says - or whether my interpretation is right or wrong -  you have tried it and it doesn't work.   It is likely designed that way:  No battery = No operation.  Let's go with that for the moment.

User Guide - Windows 8.1

Page 31

By now you have had time to read the Service Guide.  The guide includes important information on replacement parts but does not discuss operation.

What about the battery?

What about the electrical system in the computer?

What else?

More HP Documents and Reference

This document is for HP notebook PCs that have a removable battery.

HP Notebook PCs - Battery Does Not Power Notebook or Hold a Charge

If the battery has already been replaced with a proper battery pack and the computer does not work,

If you have not done so, check the AC Adapter to be sure it is working as expected.

If the AC Adapter (charger) fails it will not power the notebook.

Do not skip the last Troubleshooting section in the AC Adapter document concerning the system board.

Using and Testing the AC Power Adapter

and

Purchasing a Replacement Battery

What to do?

Your solution depends on, what you have tried,  how badly you want (need) that computer to work, and the results of the tests you have performed.

Assuming you have made regular backups of your personal data, the hardware is the only concern and you can decide based on what you have done - or what you are willing to do - to fix the hardware.  The series was introduced in 2015 - the computer is likely between four and five years old at this writing.  Not OLD, but aging in terms of this type of technology. 

If you have not been keeping your data backed up, then you are in a different kind of dilemma.  The data is likely just fine - but it is on the computer disk - the computer must be made to operate or you must have a way to extract the data.  Data recovery is a different subject than the current inquiry.  Should you decide data recovery is necessary, it is the subject of a new thread.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Fear0205 

Is the dead battery still inside the computer?

Trying to run with a dead battery still installed is different from running the computer without a battery.

HP ENVY Notebook Intel Models 17-n100 17-n199 3D camera Models 17-r100 17-r199 (worldwide) 3D camera...

Part numbers and simple replacement procedure on Pages 27-28

This battery type is simply clipped to the outside of the computer.

Try it...

Remove the battery and see if the computer will boot on AC power alone.

If the computer won't boot, you will need to find a replacement battery at your favorite online merchant.

(HP does not likely carry this battery - find a compatible replacement.)

Device Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP ENVY Notebook - 17-n002ne (ENERGY STAR) 

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi, yes I have removed the battery, and the power light next to the power socket just stays white and laptop does not turn on.

I would have thought that it should turn on without a battery is there a way to know for certain? 

HP Recommended

@Fear0205 

OK.  

I realize I am pointing you to information to which you already have access and may have already read.  

The User manual appears to indicate you merely need to plug in the computer to a power source (AC power).  It does not say whether this works with a completely dead battery - that is likely the key.

That said, I don't think it matters what the manual says - or whether my interpretation is right or wrong -  you have tried it and it doesn't work.   It is likely designed that way:  No battery = No operation.  Let's go with that for the moment.

User Guide - Windows 8.1

Page 31

By now you have had time to read the Service Guide.  The guide includes important information on replacement parts but does not discuss operation.

What about the battery?

What about the electrical system in the computer?

What else?

More HP Documents and Reference

This document is for HP notebook PCs that have a removable battery.

HP Notebook PCs - Battery Does Not Power Notebook or Hold a Charge

If the battery has already been replaced with a proper battery pack and the computer does not work,

If you have not done so, check the AC Adapter to be sure it is working as expected.

If the AC Adapter (charger) fails it will not power the notebook.

Do not skip the last Troubleshooting section in the AC Adapter document concerning the system board.

Using and Testing the AC Power Adapter

and

Purchasing a Replacement Battery

What to do?

Your solution depends on, what you have tried,  how badly you want (need) that computer to work, and the results of the tests you have performed.

Assuming you have made regular backups of your personal data, the hardware is the only concern and you can decide based on what you have done - or what you are willing to do - to fix the hardware.  The series was introduced in 2015 - the computer is likely between four and five years old at this writing.  Not OLD, but aging in terms of this type of technology. 

If you have not been keeping your data backed up, then you are in a different kind of dilemma.  The data is likely just fine - but it is on the computer disk - the computer must be made to operate or you must have a way to extract the data.  Data recovery is a different subject than the current inquiry.  Should you decide data recovery is necessary, it is the subject of a new thread.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.