Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY dv6-7210us Notebook PC
Other

Good Morning,

There seems to be an issue with a software file on the support.hp.com website. I need this BIOS file to fix my laptop, as it will no longer post. The file is called SP63517.exe. I am trying to restore the BIOS using the external flash drive method. Right now my laptop is just a $900 paperweight. Could you please assist? Thank you.

My laptop model is: HP Envy DV6-7210US. I would list the serial number but it says not to. The Operating System is Windows 8, 64 Bit. The BIOS vendor is Insyde. The BIOS version is F.23

It seems there are two versions of BIOS software available on the support.hp.com website. When I download the F.25 version, I receive the SP69020.exe file. This file opens fine, and the HP System BIOS Update Utility launches. From there I can successfully create a recovery USB flash drive.

However, the BIOS version I need is F.23 and when I download that file, I do not get the same results. That file is called SP63517.exe. It downloads fine, but when you open it, or run it as admin, the HP System BIOS Update Utility does not launch. Instead, you receive two error messages. They are: “IHISI: Get support mode fail in SMI!” and “BIOS did not support InsydeFlash!” So I am unable to create a recovery USB flash drive for the BIOS version F.23 installed on my HP laptop.

Just to see if it would work, I made the F.25 recovery USB flash drive. Then I inserted it into the laptop and held Windows + B, then the power button for a few seconds, and continued holding Windows + B. After 75 seconds, nothing happened. So I tried the same process with Windows + V. Same result. Then again just holding the B key, but nothing happened there either.

My belief is the current BIOS version on the flash drive has to match what is installed, otherwise it will not work. The HP BIOS Utility created a Hewlett Packard folder on the flash drive with two subfolders, BIOS and BIOS Update. The BIOS Update folder has lots of EFI files, SIG files, and S9/S12/S14 files. The BIOS folder contained previous, current, and new folders. The new and previous folders are empty, but the current folder has the necessary BIN file, SIG file, and S12 file needed to pass the post.

FYI, the reason this all happened is the nearly nine year old RTC battery was finally dying. My date and time were inconsistent, and I was having difficulty connecting to the internet. It turns out these are common symptoms of an RTC battery below 2.7V. I found the HP part number 682091-001 online and ordered a replacement.

So I disconnected the power, took out the lithium-ion battery, removed the bottom panel, and disconnected the RTC battery. I tested it with a multimeter and it read 2.6V. The replacement I received had about 3.3V. But once I put everything back together and turned it on, I keep getting the same result. The computer sounds like it is on, but only the fan kicks on, the wifi light, aka F12, lights up orange, and the caps lock button continuously blinks white about once every second. However, the screen stays black and I can’t do anything. From what I read, if I have the proper BIOS recovery USB flash drive, then the Windows + B, Windows + V, or B key solutions should work. Of course I’ll believe it when I see it…

So could you please help with this process? If the SP63517.exe file cannot be modified, then perhaps your team could try running it internally through the HP System BIOS Update Utility using my specifications. Then simply zip the output files and provide a link. The main BIOS files I received from the F.25 BIOS version were 0182D.bin, 0182D.s12, and 0182D.sig. Not sure if that helps you or not. Thank you for looking into this for me, I appreciate it.

Regards,

Pete

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.