Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 15 laptop
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

Computer turns on but won’t log in. I put in password and get error message “can’t detect internet connection”

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Jj531 

HOW are you connected to the Internet -- wired (using a cable) or WiFi?

IF WiFi, then look at the airplane mode key on your keyboard, the LED should be glowing white.  If it is glowing red or orange, that means that WiFi is disabled and you have to search for the switch on your laptop (usually on the side) that turns WiFi on and off, and turn it ON.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I am using WiFi and it is on but it wont let me get beyond the password. Shouldn't i be able to log in and go to desktop without WiFi?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.