Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 15-p233cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So today, I tried to turn on my laptop, but the power button just flashes and I hear a click sound every 2 seconds. 

I took out the battery and plugged the power cable, still the same click and wouldnt turn on (Black Screen).

I took it apart, SSD works, took the optical drive out, same issue. 

I noticed that when turning it on, the fan runs for 2 seconds and stopes. Then the cycle loops: Led power button comes on , hears a click sound and turns off. 

I disconnected the audio from the board and now there was no sound, but still wouldnt turn on, same loop as described earlier without the clicking sound.

Now im thinking its either the Fan or the mother board itself. Any ideas??

If its the mother board, i tried looking for a model number on there, but had no luck. Would a faulty fan cause this? 

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Jestin_Varghese,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query on this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

Awesome job on diagnosing the issue correctly and performing smart troubleshooting before posting your question on HP forums. Kudos to you on that score. 

I would say replace the fan first and check whether the issue is resolved. Usually, the motherboard will not make a clicking noise if it is faulty.

Please refer to the below service guide for the part numbers and other information about your computer.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04511833

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I ordered the fan, now I am waiting for it. Hopefully it will come tomorrow and ill update you once I install it.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

@Jestin_Varghese,

Perfect! If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Installed the new fan but still the same problem. I dont know whats the issue.

HP Recommended

https://youtu.be/hPVbQoGNh2o

Here is a video.

HP Recommended

@Jestin_Varghese,

It is great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

I am sending you a private message suggesting the next course of action.

Please check your private message icon in the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.