Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Dv6-3000
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My laptop, which is an HP Pavilion Dv6-3000, is having boot issues. It's turning on, but the screen remains a flickering black. I have tried connecting it to an external monitor to no avail. What's strange is that it doesn't seem to turn off when I press the power button to turn it off, but rather it goes into sleep mode. There are no blinking LED's or beeps.

UPDATE: I have left the laptop on for a couple of hours, and the screen has stopped flickering and stays a complete black. I can hear the fan running, and the Caps Lock button, the Wireless Button (f12), and the mute button (f11) are all glowing (caps lock white, other two amber).

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @Anonymous,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you are facing issues with yourHP Pavilion dv6-3000 Entertainment Notebook PC wherein the display monitor goes black after booting the computer.

Let's go through a few steps that may help to fix this issue.

And here are a few steps in the link: Screen is Blank after Starting the Computer.

Let me know how this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

I completed all the steps in the section "Screen remains blank and does not display the HP logo screen". After pressing Enter in Step 9, the screen momentarily flashes a complete black but does not restart. Afterwards, it begins to flicker again. I have repeated the process three times, and each time the exact same thing happens.

HP Recommended

Update: I connected the hard drive to my desktop and it worked perfectly fine. However, I plugged it back into the laptop and I had the same problem.

HP Recommended

Hi @ErikCapp,

Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that the issue has not resolved after following the steps mentioned in the previous interaction.

This could be a hardware issue with the unit.

Hence, you may contact HP Technical Phone Support from this link: http://hp.care/2r9wSvP

Select the country where you are located and type the product# or the serial number of the unit and then choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information. Click on 'Show Options' icon and then scroll down the page and select 'Get Phone Number' to get the phone number.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

A phone number is not available for my product. I can only use the forums.

HP Recommended

@Anonymous

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums, 

I understand your concern and to help you out, 

I have escalated your concern to HP's Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options (if any). 

You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding Holidays & Weekends). 

Response times may vary by region. 

Please send a Private Message, if you aren't contacted within 4-5 business days.  

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (such as serial numbers and case details).

And Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well, 

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, I’ve been having this same problem. I’ve followed All of the steps that you gave OP with no success. My laptop has the exact same issue. Black, flickering screen on start up. I can hear the fan running and the lights come on. What can I do?

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.