Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15T-CS0
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

So I have an issue. My friend brought me a laptop that won't boot. He tried to change out the SSD drive but he broke the pins so unfortunately it won't load at all. The SSD option is gone.

However, I noticed that the motherboard also has an M.2 slot. Why not try booting from that drive I thought? So what I've done was I put Windows 10 on an M.2 drive, tested it on my desktop (works fine and is bootable into win10), put the M.2 chip into the notebook and tried to load it.

Here is what it looks like now (SSD is gone as it is useless now). 

Edit: I don't know why the images won't load, they show up in the preview. I am putting image links on imgur. link --> https://imgur.com/a/npKF5k1

20210318_123218.jpg

When I load into BIOS I turn on UEFI and enabled Secure Boot. However, I do NOT see the 16GB M.2 chip even though it is plugged in and powered. I tried changing Secure Boot to ON and OFF without success as well as Legacy Support On and Off (it disables UEFI - which is bad). 

20210318_145723.jpg

If I go to System Configuration UEFI device Configuration I can see my  16 (13.4) GB  NVME M.2 Drive, so I KNOW the system sees it and identifies it as a hard drive.
20210323_221308.jpg

My question is this. Why won't the laptop allow me to boot off this drive when desktop boots off this drive without issue? Why doesn't it show up in the BOOT section?

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Is it possible the BIOS locks boot from certain M.2 drives? I checked the manual and it doesn't say anything about M.2 supported models. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.