cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
kevinc101213
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Laptop completely locks up - no response, no audio, frozen screen -> needs force power down

HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 15-dc1044na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there

I have  a laptop that's been upgraded to 32GB of RAM and has a second internal 1TB SSD (for back ups mostly).

I have it connected via charger 99% of the time and connect a plugable DisplayLInk USB-C docking station to run my peripherals. The only thing directly plugged into the laptop is a Logitech Unifying receiver to connect my trackball + keyboard.

In the docking station are:
- 3.5mm jack for speakers
- HDMI for monitor

- USB for iPhone charger (Yootech)

- USB for Logitech webcam
- USB for Disc cloner (99% of the time turned off)

My problem is that at what appears random times, my laptop will freeze and all response/audio will stop and the screen will lock in place. Fans are still spinning on the laptop and lights are on but no one's home 😞

Nothing appears to resolve this:
- I've removed the power cable and waited = no response
- Unplug the USB-C hub = no change (other than video cuts off main screen of course)
- Lift laptop lid = black screen and no response

Only solution = press and hold power button until power down then boot back up and resume as normal.

I've run all the diagnostics = nothing comes up
I've run various Windows tools with nothing really showing up.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated!!

2 REPLIES 2
kevinc101213
Author
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've spoken to HP support various times over the past 6 weeks and these are the updates:

1) Update all firmware and BIOS etc... -> done and no change

2) Reinstall Windows from scratch and do not install the HP software as it has been known to cause issues -> not doing that at present as this is a work laptop and is used all the time
3) Try using an HP G2 Dock instead -> just arrived today and will give this a go

Issue is carrying on but not appearing to get worse. 

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
kevinc101213
Author
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Update:
1) HP G2 120W dock has arrived and it is recognised by the laptop and Thunderbolt software. I've set it to always be allowed and it's auto updated to the latest version of the firmware etc...
2) All elements work on the dock except that my LG Ultrawide Monitor does not display anything (it is detected) via HDMI -> DisplayPort, or DisplayPort -> DisplayPort or HDMI -> USB-C.
3) A VGA to VGA Monitor connection does work...
4) Spoke to HP Support and this new person said that the HP G2 is NOT compatible with this Omen...sigh...

He did though tell me about something else:
On reboot, hold ESCAPE to access the UEFI hardware tests - the extensive one (which I'll do later) can take up to 2 hours.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation