Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
16.5 i5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

2.5 year old pc out of warranty by 6 months now decides to randomly crash and then rebook . Sometimes ok for hours sometimes happens within minutes . Guy said need a new laptop as the main bird graphic chip possibly has gone but wasn’t sure ?? 

Sorry but not pc savvy 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Mostly likely this is an issue with defective memory or RAM. If you can run HP diagnostics on the memory I would recommend it.

1) To access the hardware diagnostics menu, press the F2 function keys as the laptop is rebooting. This will boot the computer into the hardware diagnostics menu.

2) Select the Component Test option.

3) Select the Memory option.

4) Select the Extensive test option.

You will have to wait some time in order for the test to complete but my guess is this test will fail indicating your RAM needs to be replaced. If the test passes then there are other tests that you can run from this diagnostic menu and it would be recommended that you do.

Good luck and if you would please post the results. I am curious as to what the problem and solution is for you.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply . Tried all the tests on the menu and nothing failed .

Still experiencing the same problem.

HP Recommended

If you would list all the diagnostic test that you ran?

If every diagnostic test passed then you are likely looking at a software issue. The easiest way to deal with the issue is to backup your data and reload the operating system. This will give you a fresh start and should resolve any software issues that you have. Outside of that, if you would prefer to isolate the problem then more information will be needed such as what tasks are you performing prior to the laptop shutting off.

Make sure the laptop vents have been cleaned with compressed air to help with air flow. Most likely this is not the issue but it wouldn't hurt to clean the vents with air.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.