Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-eh1822nd
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi,

I recently bought a new laptop for a coworker. We process pretty big Excel files, so it has  16gb RAM and a Ryzen 7. The laptop works great and is fast, but if I multitask and open a big Excel file, the screen goes black and it crashes. I never had this problem with other laptops, even 8gb RAM i5's, so I'm wondering what the problem is. I reinstalled the whole thing, and reinstalled Office 365, but the same thing keeps happening. 

I'm wondering if anyone knows a possible cause. Could it be a processor heat thing? Or memory allocation problem?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

It could be a corrupted Excel file.  Try opening that file with another PC (you can try on a Mac too).

It is possible that Excel needs updating, there are many versions and service pack of all programs.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for your response. This is not the case, in the office we have decent desktops that can open and process these files without any trouble. Also, it's not one specific file where this happens. Think it has something to do with multitasking and processor power.

HP Recommended

I've been working with Excel for over 30 years and haven't seen a spreadsheet requiring a high end CPU.

It might be the installation of Excel that got corrupted or perhaps it is Windows corrupted file?

I would try these ideas:

- Instead of uninstalling / reinstalling Excel (or all of Office as it shares code), I would try LibreOffice (Libreoffice.org - portable even better) or WPS Office (wps.com).  Or if you prefer, OpenOffice.org.

If these work, you know it is Excel installation that is the problem.

To test Windows is ok, download and create a Linux bootable CD (or USB key), then boot into Linux to eliminate Windows as the problem.  You can download LibreOffice for Linux and try to open the file.

If this works, then the hardware is ok, but your Windows is screwed up.

Finally, find a copy of memtest86 and run hardware test on the RAM, let it run for at least 1-2 hr to get things heated up.

You can also find the diagnostics program for your brand of hard drive and run the 'long' or 'detailed' tests on the drive.

You have to isolate where the problem is:  Excel/Office, Windows, or RAM/hard drive.

Good luck, I am sure you will find the problem

HP Recommended

Thank you.

Well, we have files with 500.000+ formulas, data processing and calculations, and a lot of graphs. It's never huge, but on a desktop it takes 25% processor power for a few seconds (initial calculations).

It's not just Excel, I think it's just because those files take the most processing power and generate some heat. I already reinstalled Office entirely, and it didn't make a difference.

I'll run some diagnostic tests, and if it doesn't work I guess I'll visit an HP Support Centre.

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

I'd still say try LibreOffice or WPS Office.  It could be your installation file of Excel that is the problem.

Every program has patches, updates, improvements etc.  You might have an older/buggy version of Excel.

I always open a PC (or laptop) at least once a year and use compress air to blow out the dust and dirt.  It is worse is the user smokes or has pets, for them at least twice a year.

Look at LibreOffice, OpenOffice, WPS Office too, it won't hurt 🙂

HP Recommended

Sent it back to the distributor. It was indeed an overheating problem, so they replaced the heatsink.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.