Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Probook 6555B
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just went to turn on my laptop, and "PCI CONTROLLER ERROR" appeared over and over and over. I tried several times. It ignored me when I tried to hit Esc to get to the startup menu. 

I got that far in writing up this post, when it occurred to me for some reason to unplug the USB hub that my external keyboard and mouse were plugged into, and try again. It booted fine. I don't know if it was a coincidence or not, but I'm not going to mess with it to find out. It's also possible that it was in sleep mode the first 5 times I tried to boot it, then "knew" enough to do a cold boot instead, and it was just a coincidence that that coincided with my unplugging the hub.

I'm making the post anyway so that it will be here for someone else in case they have the same problem, they can try unplugging devices. The other 2 people I found who reported this error in this forum had a different problem, one was bad memory, and, speaking of bad memory, I've already forgotten the other.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.