Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15 p143cl ENERGYSTAR
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Ever since I did something with my drivers, things have been going haywire. Here's a list of a few things that I have had issues with: sometimes when i'm using a speech application like skype or discord, sounds on my desktop are picked up through my mic even though i'm using a headset, my computer's automatic maintenance starts up at the most random times and it never seems to end, and whenever I shutdown, hibernate, or put my computer to sleep, my screen powers off, but my fan, power button light, and mouse lighting are still on; the fan is running as well but it's at a slower and quieter speed. All my drivers are updated, and so is my BIOS. My guess is that the BIOS update may have caused things to go haywire in my computer. Can anyone please help me solve this issue? I have to resort to pressing the power button to make my computer turn off or go to sleep. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Not necessarily - I just hadn't noticed your reply.

First, run some diagnostics as follows.

Shutdown the notebook. 

Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to enter the Start-up Menu.  Select the Diagnostic Menu option ( f2 ) and run the tests on the Hard Drive and Memory.

If there are any error codes generated, post back with the details - if everything passes, try the 2 suugestions below.

1.  On some machines, the 11 series IMEI driver has been known to cause this sort of shutdown issue, so it may well be worth trying an earlier version.

You can use the following method to install an earlier version of the IMEI driver.

Download the IMEI driver on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp66001-66500/sp66228.exe

When done, open your Downloads folder and run the installer - it will warn you that this is an earlier version, but just continue.

When complete, restart the notebook.

2.  It may also be worth uninstalling the current Intel Smart Technology driver, reboot, then try the version directly from Intel on the link below.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23109/Intel-Smart-Connect-Technologyailing

If neither of the above suggestions work and if you're unsure exactly what changes you made that resulted in this issue, you may want to consider performing a factory reset and see if this will resolve the problem - a guide on the main methods for this are on the link below.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03489643

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try disabling Windows 8.1 hybrid boot - you can do this as follows.

Right click the battery icon in the Taskbar and select Power Options - in the following window, click on 'Choose what the power button does' in the left hand pane.

In the subsequent window, first click on 'Change settings that are currently unavailable' ( near the top of the Window ) and then remove the checkmark from the box against 'Turn on fast start-up (recommended)'.  Click the Save Settings button, then close any open windows and shutdown the notebook by right click the Start Menu icon, select Command Prompt (Admin) and click ‘Yes’ to the uac prompt.

Type ( or copy and paste ) in the following command ( including spaces ) and hit enter.

shutdown /s /t 0

Start the notebook and let Windows fully load for a couple of minutes before checking if it will now shutdown correctly from the Start Menu.

If this has corrected the issue, it may be worth turning Fast Start-up back on – sometimes just deleting and re-creating the file will resolve the problem.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi David, I have already tried this method once before, and it didn't work. The shutdown turned off my screen but the power button was still running. I have also disabled hybrid sleep, and fast startup already, so I know that those aren't part of the issue.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Hold down the Windows key and press R

Into the Run box type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.

In the Device Manager window, expand System devices, then scroll down to the entry Intel Management Engine Interface, right click this and select Properties.  Select the Driver tab and let me know the Driver version you see listed.

Also let me know the driver version listed for Intel Smart Connect Technology.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

The driver version for the Management engine is 11.0.0.1146, and the driver version for the smart connect is 1.0.8.0.

HP Recommended

So I guess this means that there's no solution for it either? I forgot to mention, that I had to uninstall the HP support assistant because it kept crashing everytime I tried to load it up.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Not necessarily - I just hadn't noticed your reply.

First, run some diagnostics as follows.

Shutdown the notebook. 

Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to enter the Start-up Menu.  Select the Diagnostic Menu option ( f2 ) and run the tests on the Hard Drive and Memory.

If there are any error codes generated, post back with the details - if everything passes, try the 2 suugestions below.

1.  On some machines, the 11 series IMEI driver has been known to cause this sort of shutdown issue, so it may well be worth trying an earlier version.

You can use the following method to install an earlier version of the IMEI driver.

Download the IMEI driver on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp66001-66500/sp66228.exe

When done, open your Downloads folder and run the installer - it will warn you that this is an earlier version, but just continue.

When complete, restart the notebook.

2.  It may also be worth uninstalling the current Intel Smart Technology driver, reboot, then try the version directly from Intel on the link below.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23109/Intel-Smart-Connect-Technologyailing

If neither of the above suggestions work and if you're unsure exactly what changes you made that resulted in this issue, you may want to consider performing a factory reset and see if this will resolve the problem - a guide on the main methods for this are on the link below.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03489643

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi David, those fixes you gave me did make my computer go back to hibernating, sleeping, and shutting down like normal! I'm not sure why my computer keeps going into automatic maintenance for long periods of time though.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome and good to hear it's shutting down Ok :generic:

Sometimes windows does quite a bit of re-organisation after this sort of shutdown problem.  I'd suggest starting another thread regarding the maintenance issue if it doesn't resolve in a couple of days.

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.