Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I was running a game on my laptop, when all of a sudden the fans go nuts (and I'm not over exaggerating). The noise was so loud, at first I thought it was my desktop computer's fan going crazy. Once this loud noise started, the computer froze. I couldn't do anything. My instinct was to do a force shutdown. It wasn't working. I was holding the power button for more than ten seconds, and nothing was happening. I un-plugged the charger from the laptop, along with the wireless mouse and headphones. Still nothing.  

After about thirty seconds, the fans died down, but where still acting strangely. The fan noise would rise, then fall. This repeated really fast, about every half of a second. I tried to move the mouse (with the mouse pad, because the wireless mouse is unplugged), but it would freeze every time the fan noise goes up. So basically, to makes things simpler: every half a second the fan noise increases and everything freezes, and when the fan noise dies down, everything unfreezes. I stopped holding the power button at this point.

I couldn't do much with the laptop in this state, but it shut down by itself anyways. I haven't opened it since. Please, if anyone knows what this is, can you help me? I want to know what caused this problem.

I haven't done any modifications to this laptop, and I've had it for about five months. I haven't downloaded anything recently, and the only programs I've installed are Goggle Chrome, Java 7, and Minecraft (if you consider it a program). My laptop's been working fine, and this is the worst problem I've ever had with it. The laptop is store-bought. I think that it might have been overheating (though it was on a hard surface, and the vents weren't blocked). Before this happened, it was on for a couple of hours, and the bottom of the laptop didn't seem very hot. And this problem all happened in about a minute...

If you might know the problem, please help!

Thank you in advance!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi,

99.9 % is due to heat, the fan has to spin fast to protect the machine and when it can't do more the machine will shut itself down. Keeping machine COOL will help and one way to keep it cool: don't play games, specially high intensive graphics games. Too hot can burn the CPU but firstly it will burn the GPU. Is it still running now ? Please try the following methods to keep it cool.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/keep-laptop-cool-172740363.html
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01657439

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.