Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Laptop goes to turn on but screen stays black

pavillion 17-e028ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hello, the other day I started a game on my notebook and it turned off. When trying to start it up again the screen turned black with purple code across it and couldn't fully boot up. After leaving it alone for a day I went to turn it back on and it worked fine. A couple days later I went to turn it on and it started to boot up but the screen stayed black. I have tried the bios power reset, and the cap lock blinks white 5 times, two fast then a break, twice fast then a break then once more. It has been a few days and this problem is persisting. I have tried hooking it up to an external monitor and it tries to connect then days signal can't be found. Any help would be appreciated!!
1 REPLY 1
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
19004 18962 1239 1988
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Laptop goes to turn on but screen stays black

Hi @electricu,

Thank you for showing your interest in the HP Forums,

I'd like to help :)

As I understand  the HP laptop turns on but the screen remains black. Don't worry as I have a few steps to help you get through this concern,

Please attempt the below steps:

Perform a Hard reset on the Notebook.

Connect an external Monitor to test the display.

Attempt a Bios Recovery

Run the System Diagnostics from F2:

For more steps, click here

Please click on the below links once you identify the blink code and resolve the issue:

Troubleshooting LED Blink Codes or Beep Codes During Startup or Boot

Computer Does Not Start and Emits a LED or Beep Code

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation