jrekkedal Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Laptop graphics driver causing slow boot, lock-ups, freezing, etc.

14-n014nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Another way to put it: No graphics driver for Windows 10 64-bit is working!

I noticed the laptop one day started to freeze when clicking on things in the task bar, or system tray, and boots very slowly.  It freezes for about 10 to 30 seconds before becoming available again.  Through a LOT of troubleshooting I was able to determine it was being caused by the graphics driver.  Windows 10 has a "helpful" feature of upgrading your drivers (even if you turn it off) and this laptop obviously doesn't like the one that was chosen for it.

The graphics driver package (sp71870) for this model does NOT contain a valid graphics driver (at least it doesn't detect the adapter during install).  I tried to download the latest driver directly from AMD and it's the one causing the problem!

I opened a ticket with AMD and they were unable to assist and asked that I contact HP instead.  Can't open a ticket as this thing is now out of warranty (of course).

If I attempt to remove/roll back the driver it causes problems with Windows where explorer.exe crashes over and over again.

Please help! Laptop is unusable!

HP Pavilion 14-n014nr
8GB RAM
Windows 10 64 bit Home - Version 1607 - Build 14393.447
CPU: AMD 14-5000 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
Display Adapter: AMD Radeon HD 8330 - Driver version causing the problem is 21.19.137.1 (9/16/2016)

1 REPLY 1
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12360 12337 1165 2340
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Laptop graphics driver causing slow boot, lock-ups, freezing, etc.

Hi @jrekkedal,

Good day. May the forums welcome you! :) How are you doing? :)  I read your post about the display and freezing  issues with your computer. It will be a genuine pleasure to assist you with this. :)

At the outset, you’ve diagnosed the issue perfectly. Excellent job on that score. Kudos to you. It is always a privilege to work with technically savvy customers. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. We value your relationship with HP and wish to serve you better. :)

For better clarity and to assist you better, I would require more information regarding this.

• Has this been a recent occurrence?
  • Has the graphics driver worked before?
  • No computer updates when it is powered down. However, certain Intel system boards had a feature where the updates were receive when the computer was in sleep or hibernation mode.
  • It may not be a feature of this computer.

First off, we need to isolate the issue to being hardware or software related. Please perform a hard reset from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684768

Then run complete system diagnostics from this link: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03467259 to isolate the issue correctly. It takes 2 hours to run and will show a failure code for any failed component. Please make a note of it.

Please contact HP phone support to get the unit fixed. Link: http://hp.com/contacthp If the unit is under warranty then the manufacturer’s warranty will cover repairs for you.

If it passes please back up all your files and perform a complete system recovery to factory settings from this link: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04758961 and follow the option “Recovery when Windows 10 does not start correctly”

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you.:)

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. :)

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. :)

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation