Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Laptop 15-dw0012na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This is more of a record of how I fixed the problem, rather than a question, in case it helps someone else.

After starting a bios update, the laptop restarted and hung with the message "Flashing Boot Block" showing progress about 90%. It stayed like that overnight.

In the morning I could not switch it off using the power button, so switched off the power cable and let it run out of battery.

Later I plugged it back in, and tried turning it on. I heard the fan spin up briefly twice with a black screen, and on the third attempt it got as far as showing the HP logo with the spinning dots, but turned itself off. I think this might have been it trying to automatically restore the bios as mentioned here.

After that I did not do a hard reset as suggested here, but instead I reset the bios to its defaults as documented here. Firstly, though I disconnected all devices from ports (usb dongles, hdmi etc) in case that confused things.

With all the ports clear, I held down ESC while powering on, and selected F10 to get into the Bios Setup. My Bios screens were a bit different than described in the article, so what I did to reset the bios was:

• On the Exit page, select "Load Setup Defaults"
  • On the Exit page, select "Save Changes and Exit"

The laptop restarted and got to the Windows logon screen. It was ok from there, but I did another restart to make sure.

I would have replied to this post because it was asking about what to do when the power button did not work, but it seemed to be closed.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.