Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Hp pavilion

Hello I own a hp pavilion and I had it since december 2014 and ever since about June 2015 My laptop started lagging while chargeing. So basicly games run flawless when I do not charge my computer but right when I plug it in I go from 65-70 fps to about 25-30 fps. Its a massive drop and I can now only play my laptop for a hour until I have to charge it agian. Once agian this randomly happened around June and all the time I had my laptop before that games ran smooth on battery but all of that changed.. I tryed messing around with my power settings by switching to balanced mode and practicly every other solution I saw to this probem but nothing worked. Can someone please help me out I am about to quit pc gaming until I get a new computer.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @Joe40,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues, with help from the community!

I came across your post about the Notebook, and wanted to assist you! I have looked into your issue about your HP Pavilion Notebook and issues with lags when charging. Here is a link to calibrate and test the Battery. Calibration should eliminate this issue.

Plug the power adapter directly into a functioning wall outlet. Do not plug it into a power strip, surge protector, or secondary power source as this could cause and issue.

HP Battery Check in HP System Diagnostics for Windows 8, would give you details of charging and discharging.Testing and Calibrating the battery using HP System Diagnostics in Windows 8. At the starting of the Notebook, Press F2 to select F2 System Diagnostics. Then choose Component Tests, then battery.

You can do a system restore. System restore will help if something automatically updated and did not go well on the Notebook.

When performing a System restore please note remove any and all USB devices. Disconnect all non-essential devices as they can cause issues.

Did you install any new Software programs link a virus protection software.

You could reset the BIOS with this document selecting the reloading the BIOS default settings. Which has helped others as it restores the fans default settings.

Please let me know how this goes.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thanks goign to look into this later tonight

HP Recommended

This has been a nagging issue of mine for the past couple of months.   I have an Elitebook 8560p running Win10 64-bit.

No problems on battery but excruitiatingly lags when plugged in.

Was able to solve it via the "Change advance power settings" (right click on the battery icon on task tray, select "Power Options", then on your selected Power Plan, click "Change Plan Settings" and click on the ""Change advance power settings" link).

Scroll down to "ATI Graphics Power Settings --> ATI Powerplay Settings" and change the "Plugged In" option to match the 'On Battery" option.  In my case, I changed this from "Maximize Performance" to "Maximize Battery Life".

Could be a different setting for your machine, but if this problem occurs for you only when plugged in, chances are you will need to look for a setting that is different for "Plugged In" and "On Battery".  And since my machine was running perfectly on battery, I set the "Plugged In" setting to match "On Battery".  

Hope this helps!

[Edit:  I don't normally post on forums, but I was so happy to solve this ever-nagging problem, that I wanted to share it with others who may be experiencing the same problem.  Cheers!]

HP Recommended

i have a similar issue but it only happens for a few seconds when i plug it in.

my hp envy  is very picky about what position the charger is in so if i make the slightest movement of my legs in my chair,  it stops or starts charging causing a massive lag spike  sending me from 70-80  fps  to  2-3  fps for about 5 seconds..  not much of an issue in relaxed games but in high paced shooters its a pain in the neck because it usually ALWAYS results in death

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.