Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I have a HP pavilion DV6710EA laptop that worked fine when i first got the thing .....now when i turn it on it powers off again....i have updated the bios and all seemed well for a while.....now its doing exactly the same thing.

After reading various posts on here it would seem that this is a common problem.....and how funny that the laptop worked fine all the time it was in warranty......as soon as it expired i get these problems....Well done HP for ripping off us purchashers of this range knowing full well there was a problem from the start.....i take my hat off to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am disgusted with this company and will NEVER buy from them again

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended
HI,
Would you like some help with the problem you are having?

Best regards,
erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi Erico,

Any help would be appreciated......basically i can power on the laptop from cold boot and it will sometimes get to the logon screen then power off.....after that it will power up and sometimes it will be 10 secs...or 15 secs...or 3-4 secs and power off....i updated the bios a while ago when this problem occurred and all was well for a 2 months then the problem retured.

If you need any other info let me know and thanks

HP Recommended

HI,

@whizzy39 wrote:

Hi Erico,

Any help would be appreciated......basically i can power on the laptop from cold boot and it will sometimes get to the logon screen then power off.....after that it will power up and sometimes it will be 10 secs...or 15 secs...or 3-4 secs and power off....i updated the bios a while ago when this problem occurred and all was well for a 2 months then the problem retured.

If you need any other info let me know and thanks

Start with a hard reset:

Remove the battery and unplug the DC power adapter.
press and hold the power button for more than fifteen seconds.
plug in the DC power adapter (leave the battery out for now)
press the power button

if the notebook boots into Windows...Fantastic. 🙂

if not, remove the power adapter and both memory modules from the soDimm slots. (remove the cover on the bottom of the notebook) and place one module in the bottom soDimm slot.

Now plug in the power adapter and try a start.

This is to see if a memory module has failed. If one has failed, then notebook will not boot into Windows nor BIOS. If you have good results on testing the first module then you know what is wrong. Replace a faulty module with a new one.  It is generally best to replace both modules at the same time so the replacement modules will be identical. That is important. If negative results then test the other module in the same fashion. 

Please post your results here in your thread.

Best regards,
erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi I have already done the things you have suggested several times but to no avail....i have even taken out the CMOS battery too but still no luck

HP Recommended

Hi,

@whizzy39 wrote:

Hi I have already done the things you have suggested several times but to no avail....i have even taken out the CMOS battery too but still no luck

Try removing the hard drive and trying a start to see what the BIOS does, if anything. Sometimes a failed hard drive will cause a no start.

If that does not help then it is time for a last ditch effort with the RTC battery.

Remove the main battery.

Remove the memory module compartment cover.

Disconnect (carefully) the RTC batter cononector and cable from the system board.

Remove the RTC battery and leave it out overnight.

Press the power button to remove any stored current in the eeprom (CMOS) BIOS chip.

please post your results here.

If no positive results then you need a new systemboard. 

Best regards,
erico

HP Recommended

Ok i will give that a go later......but i suspect you may be right and its a faulty system board ....which HP new about when they built these laptops

HP Recommended

@whizzy39 wrote:

Ok i will give that a go later......but i suspect you may be right and its a faulty system board ....which HP new about when they built these laptops

I never make a determination as to what is wrong until I finish the troubleshooting process. It is methodical and has to be that way to be  successful.

Best regards,
erico

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

well after a week of not attempting to use the laptop this morning i switched it on and blank screen ......i then withdrew the hard drive and ram and fired up once again nothing did this several times.........put back the hard drive and ram and fired up once again, because i had backed up my files i decided to do a factory restore, once this had been done all has been well.......i just can understand this as this is now the 3rd time i have gone down this route.

How can a factory reset stop random shutdowns?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.