ThatTonybo
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Laptop refuses to turn on or charge

HP Recommended
HP 15" notebook 15-ay181tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was using my laptop normally, but it went flat while working on it. I got my charger later in the day and plugged it in, but it's not charging (no light comes on near the power plug area) and it won't turn on or make any noise.

I have gone through the virtual support assistant, and followed all it's steps, but couldn't get anywhere (all it's steps didn't work). I tried my own charger and a friend's that works on his (same voltages and such) but nothing. Seems my laptop is dead. What can I do? It's out of warranty I'm guessing as it was gifted to me in 2017, I've had to rush out and drop money on a new laptop just to get by. I went to a computer shop locally to see what they thought, but they couldn't fix it and charged me for the attempt so I'm not sure where to go next. Will HP fix it, will I have to pay or do I just put it in the ewaste bin and live on with this new, poor laptop? Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
33,786 32,908 3,069 7,571
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ThatTonybo 

The charger is not the issue.  The issue is that the battery is probably dead and some model HP laptops, of which they don't publish a list unfortunately, will not power up with a dead battery even with a charger connected.  I have one of those.

I can't tell from the HP specs if yours has a removable battery, so it would be worth seeing if there is a battery panel that easily opens, allowing you to replace the battery.  Please let us know what you find out about this.

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
ThatTonybo
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi WAWood, I got in touch with HP support and they told me that it was a dead system board (the battery does remove but the laptop doesn't turn on with the battery installed or not) so I've just put it up on a shelf and will dump it next time I head to the ewaste facility. Apparently it'd cost 70% of the original device price to replace, and I've already bought a new laptop to use so it'll do now. Thank you for your reply however.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation