Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 13-ap0000tu
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently bought a Spectre x360. I close the lid when I'm moving around the school between classes, and sometimes when I open it up again, it seems to have shut down. It doesn't happen all the time (maybe 2-3 times a day, considering I put my laptop to sleep pretty often). It hasn't caused any problems yet, but I definitely don't think it's good for my laptop to keep shutting down like that, and it's pretty annoying to open everything back up. The settings when I 'close the lid' and 'press the power button' are all on sleep, and I've disabled the automatic shutdown after a system failure. It might be something to do with the updates, but every time I try to update something on HP support assist, it always fails. However, the BIOS and important stuff are all up to date. I am also not sure if it has something to do how long it has been asleep for, because sometimes when it's asleep overnight, it's fine, other times it shuts down after 1-2 hours of sleep.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi

Hope this helps...

PWR and LID.png

HP Recommended

Like I said, I have already changed everything to sleep, not shut down. However, do you think I should disable the fast startup? Would that help?

HP Recommended

Hi

Yes I do personally.

HP Recommended

I thought it was fixed as it did not do it over the weekend, however, it did it again today.

I think it has something to do with moving it around, as it only happened when I first got to school after travelling on public transport and when I got home just now. I have been careful to position the laptop in my bag so that the power button wouldn't be accidentally pressed. When I took the laptop out, I noticed it was kind of warm. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. 

It's a little bit annoying, but I'm fine with it as long as forcefully shutting down (which is what it seems to be; when I open chrome it says it wasn't shut down properly) doesn't actually harm the laptop.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.