Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Laptop stuck on startup screen.

HP Envy 15 Notebook PC.
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)
I turn my laptop on and I get the normal screen with the HP logo and the loading circle, but it doesn't continue on from there. It just seems like it is endlessly trying to boot the system. I have the laptop set to go to sleep after 20 minutes of inactivity, which it did before I started having this problem. I wasn't around when the laptop went to sleep to notice if anything strange happened. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Model number is 1y1y0y, in case that helps.
7 REPLIES 7
Retired
Retired
16542 16275 953 2192
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Latari,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

In your post, you had said that currently your HP Envy 15 Notebook is having issues getting part the HP Logo screen.

Here is good starting point since you state that you hear the fans and processor spinning. 

Please note remove any and all USB devices. Disconnect all non-essential devices. Plug the power adapter directly into a different wall outlet. Do not plug it into a power strip, surge protector, or secondary power source as this could cause and issue.

Please let me know how this went for you. 

If you wish to say Thanks for my effort to help, click the Thumbs up to give me a Kudos.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Latari Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, following the steps you provided in the link did not help. I was able to get the BIOS to restart and update along with resetting the memory chip, but the screen is still stuck on the HP logo and the loading symbol. I don't hear any beeps come from the laptop, but the light for the Wi-Fi comes on and the Caps-lock button light flashes as well. Any other suggestions?
0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
16542 16275 953 2192
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @Latari,

Thanks for posting what you have done and the results. Could you try Testing for Hardware Failures http://ow.ly/YPOSz. 

Let me know the results.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Latari Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the link. The system passed the quick check so I'm running the extensive system check now. As an aside, should I have the battery in while the test is running? I've had the battery out and the laptop just connected to the power cord while I've been troubleshooting. I don't see how it would affect the booting of the system, but I'm not that savvy with computers.
0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
16542 16275 953 2192
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Latari,

It could cause some issues as the Battery check is a startup thing. Please let me know how it goes.

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Latari Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Okay, extensive test is complete with the battery plugged in. Neither the short nor extensive test showed that anything was wrong. One thing that is happening is that my laptop is getting extremely hot like it's unable to cool down at all. I do hear the cooling fan running and I can feel some air coming out of the exhaust. Any other suggestions?
0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
5851 5351 347 626
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @Latari,

@Mrstenter, is currently out of the office.  So I will be taking over for her.

I understand that the notebook is getting stuck at the Windows logo.  I see that you already checked the hardware for failure, and everything passed.

Have you tried performing a Hard Reset?  If that does not work, do you still see blinking lights when trying to start the notebook?  I see that you reset the memory chip.  Are you indicating that you already tried reseating the Memory Modules?  If you are still having trouble after that, then you may consider performing a System Recovery, to put the notebook back to its factory settings.

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation