Top Student
5 4 0 1
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Laptop won't boot, caps lock flashing 3 times

Pavilion 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hello, I bought my pavilion 15 around 1 and a half years back. Yesterday, when I tried to turn on my laptop, the led in the caps lock button flashed 3 times along with a brief delay and then another 3 times. I researched into the problem and I found out the problem was with my RAM. The solution given by HP was to reseat the RAM, which I tried but didn't work. I tried other methods given by users and still to no avail. I finally got myself to save up and buy myself a new 8gb ram which was compatible with my PC. It was very frustrating to see even with the new ram the same problem showed up. I exhausted all the solutions given by other users so I decided to ask myself. Thank you.
7 REPLIES 7
PhD Student
PhD Student
828 817 32 90
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Armagon88, 

Welcome to the HP forums.

Do you have an SD card instered into your laptop? if yes, remove it and try to boot.

Winos.

The doors of wisdom are never shut. Benjamin Franklin
&
We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right. Nelson Mandela

0 Kudos
Armagon88 Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 1
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't have an SD card inserted nor a mouse, flash drive etc
0 Kudos
PhD Student
PhD Student
828 817 32 90
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Are you 100% sure that you bought the exact same memory? If we talk about DDR3 there are 2 options.

DDR3 and DDR3L  (L = for low voltage) can you confirm that you have the same memory?

So both memory sticks are failing? The old one and the new piece in all slots?

Winos

&
We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right. Nelson Mandela

0 Kudos
Armagon88 Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 1
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yeah definitely sure they both are the same, my old ram was DDR3L and so is this. I checked in my friends pavilion which is similar to mine and the new stick worked.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Armagon88 Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 1
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Also my laptop is such that there is one stick of ram in one slot rather than there being multiple slots for different sticks of ram.
0 Kudos
PhD Student
PhD Student
828 817 32 90
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

IT could be the slot itself that is broken, do you have any warranty left. (I guess not)
What you might try is to remove the bios battery to reset the bios but I don't know if it easy to acces.

I'm afraid that I cannot help you further, broken is broken.
If someone else has an idea please post it.

&

0 Kudos
Armagon88 Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 1
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for doing everything you can to try and help me, however I don't think I will give up on it yet, I've spent way too much money on it in the first place lol. I plan on handing it over to a service centre and see what they can do, if they manage to get it up and running I'll post an update on which parts are needed to replace.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation