Ariss
6 4 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Laptop won't boot, lights blink once

Pavilion dv7-4283cl
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Today while I was browsing the internet, my laptop suddenly shut off. I tried turning it back on. The lights on the computer blink once and the laptop stops. I have tried the discharging the whole system, but I get the same effects. I noticed that every light blinks white, except for the disk light, which blinks orange. What does this mean? I am sorry if this question has been asked before but I could not find a duplicate.

7 REPLIES 7
Level 17
Level 17
44,688 38,145 3,341 14,039
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sounds like the hard drive has failed and will need to be replaced. If you are still in warranty HP will send a replacement. If not a retail laptop SATA hard drive can be used. Just be sure to get one of at least equal capacity as the original in order to use Recovery Discs. It can be larger, but not smaller capacity.For instance  you have a 640GB hdd so you could use a 750GB hdd but not a 500GB hdd.

Your Maintenance & Service Guide shows how to replace hard drive:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02666747

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

0 Kudos
IPAdrinker
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If the Computer goes into the Bios and then shuts down it does sound like the hard drive has failed.  Should get an error message in BIOS something like No Operating System Found.

0 Kudos
Ariss
6 4 0 0
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The computer did not go into bios (the screen didn't even turn on) which makes me think it's not the hard drive. Wouldn't I get something on screen of the bios was working?
0 Kudos
Ariss
6 4 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Update: I removed the hard drive and tried turning my laptop on, but got the same effect. Then I attached it back, and got the same effect, so im assuming this means it's not the hard drive?
0 Kudos
IPAdrinker
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Looks to be exactly the same problem I have except mine was shut down and then did that when trying to restart.

Not been able to fix as my DV7 is quite old and the new MB was to be very expensive and was not even guaranteed to fix the problem.

If I had an easy answer would have been happy to share but correct to assume the HDD is not the problem.

0 Kudos
Ariss
6 4 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, my laptop is old, in fact a month ago I found out about some 2 year old power cord recall for my laptop. I'm still curious if anyone has an idea of what the problem is. However, I have had to repair my laptop a few times so it might be time to get a new one.
0 Kudos
IPAdrinker
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am not very happy as the build quality on my DV7 2112TX is far superior to most modern laptops and has never missed a beat in all those years.  Worth the $60.00 to have looked at by the HPn tech.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation