Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a 2 year old HP DV4. Everything was working and this morning, when I was in bed, I hear a clicking noise from my laptop that was sitting on my desk so I immediately turn the laptop off by holding down the power button. Now when I try turning it back on, it makes a clicking noise from the area left of the mouse touchpad so I'm assuming from the HDD area and nothing comes up.

Things I already tried:

- I already tried unplugging + removing battery and doing a power reset --> no change 

- I already tried unplugging and running only on battery power --> no change

- When I press f10 and do a hard drive self test --> I get message "hard disk not exist"

Now when I try to turn it in, a screen comes up saying "no bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"

A few questions:

1) Any way I can resolve this problem or is this a completely HDD failure?

2) Is there anyway I can recover the data from the HDD? I have things on there I haven't backed up that I really do need to get out.

3) If I order the HP Recovery Disk CD online, will it be able to reinstall windows without wiping off everything?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended
1. Sounds like the hard drive is dead, chance of repair is very small when in such situation. 2. If the data on there is important, maybe it's time to seek professional help (google forensic data recovery). 3.recovery disk can only repair corruped system (on a good hard drive), when the bios doesn't detect the harddrive, recovery disk doesn't work.
**Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
HP Recommended

HP laptop won't boot.  Nothing shows up on screen not even the bios startup.  Only recognizable thing is a clicking noise that comes from the DVD drive.  I purchased a brand new harddrvie but have the same result.  

HP Recommended

I can remove the DVD player clicking sound goes away but then nothing at all happens.  I have a new harddrive in the computer

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.