Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 13
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Upon power-up, when a USB-C to hdmi adapter and a USB-A hub are plugged in, the laptop turns on but only shows a blank screen and after some time the caps lock key blinks 5 long then 4 short flashes.

Looked up what this means and the error description is as follows:

"Embedded controller times out waiting for BIOS to return from system board intialisation (end of POST)"

I have tried the following:

• Hard restart
  • Disable USB boot in BIOS
  • Update BIOS to latest version

None of these have helped, and the laptop boots just fine with a USB AMP-DAC plugged in.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Hank___ 

I have a similar problem with my HP laptop -- as any device connected to a USB port like a hub or drive, the PC will attempt to boot from it AUTOMATICALLY, no matter what I do.  I have to disconnect those and reboot.

My guess is it is the USB hub.

If you can boot OK without it connected, then that is what you will have to do.

There is no way around this.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.