Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion 14-bf100np
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

My computer has had this issue of intermittently not waking up from "sleep" mode for a few months - the screen is all black, power button light on, fans running, disk light off - and it won't respond to touching the keys, mousepad or external wireless mouse. The only way around this is to do a hard shutdown by long pressing the power button and restarting it. Initially I only noticed this when closing the lid while connected to power, but lately it has happened just by being idle and sometimes even when disconnected from the power plug - always when it's left idle/on sleep mode for a minimum of 5-10min.

I don't recall making any changes to the system before it started happening, but it was months ago, so there could have been a Windows update or something.

I've also had two BSOD in the last month - the last one having the "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" code due to a failure in "BthA2dp.sys" 

It has already been through some extensive troubleshooting and i've also called my local HP support - still no solution other than trying to format the computer (which is really not convenient for me right now as I'm working on a big project). Things I've tried so far:

- Messing around with power definitions: changing the "closing the lid" action, disabling powering off of the disk

- Turning off fast startup

- Enabling all devices to wake up the computer

- All of Windows Updates

- BIOS update

- Bluetooth driver update (prompt by the BSOD)

- Intel Graphic Card update

The only thing that has worked is to completely disable automatic sleep and hibernation modes and to never close the lid or put it to sleep - which is not an acceptable solution since I'm both using my computer in a public space (where it needs to be locked if I need to get up) and rely on mobilty and battery power. 

Here are the specs:

- HP Pavillion 14-bf100np

- Win 10 x64

- Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz, 1801 Mhz, 4 Núcleo(s), 8 Processador(es) Lógico(s)

- BIOS: Insyde F.44, 24/05/2019

- Graphic Cards: Nome NVIDIA GeForce 940MX and Nome Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620
- Disk: SanDisk SD8SN8U-256G-1006

I'd be eternally grateful if anyone could help me with this issue - I no longer know what to do.
Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Welcome to HP Community!

I suggest you make a few changes to the way sleep mode works under power options:

• Change - "Put the computer to sleep" to preferred time,
  • And Change - "Turn off the monitor" to never.

If the issue persists, try the below steps:

Disabling the hybrid sleep, followed by updating all available Windows updates and the BIOS update from the HP website, please follow the below steps to disable the hybrid sleep after performing a hard reset on the device should help resolve the issue.

1. In Windows, search for and open Control panel.

2. Make sure the View by setting is set to Category, and then click Hardware and Sound.

3. Click Power Options.

4. Click Change plan settings for the power plan that is selected.

Changing  the plan settings

5. Click Change advanced power settings.

Clicking Change advanced power settings

6. Expand Sleep, and then expand Allow hybrid sleep.

7. Select Off from the On battery drop-down menu, and then select Off from the Plugged in drop-down menu.

Selecting Off in the On battery drop-down menu

8. Click OK.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE & FOLLOW THE STEPS UNDER - The computer does not wake up from sleep or hibernate mode.

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I had already done that - but i've already been through so many troubleshooting steps that I forgot to mention it previously.
I'm starting to believe it's more than just a sleep mode issue. Today, for exemple, while connected to power and after sending the computer to sleep using the menu option (and making sure it was a successful, normal suspension), I closed the lid. When I came back to my working station, it was again in the state I previously described. Also I've noticed recently some kind of "discolorated pixels" that seem to be slowly disseminating multicentrically through my screen.

HP Recommended

@emejota I recommend you check with an alternate wall outlet or another adapter as this could be an issue with a corrupt power supply, considering it isn't powering off, either that or there's an issue with the motherboard, considering the discolored pixels, please perform a hardware test to confirm the same:

Install the latest version of the HP Hardware diagnostics (UEFI) on your device using this link: Click here for details

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  • On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.
  • Click Extensive Test.
  • Click Run once, or Loop until error.
  • While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I've already tested it in other power plugs, it does the same thing. Ran the test, everything approved.

HP Recommended

@emejota I suggest you backup all your personal data and perform a system reset using the steps mentioned here,

And let me know how that goes as this seems to be the only other option available to resolve the issue once and for all.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.