Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP 250 G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, My laptop restarted and presented a screen saying it didn't find a boot device(I suspect could be caused by a virus or malware). I went into bios settings and enabled secure boot, saved the config and exited. When it restarted after saving the bios setting, the screen remained black but the fan and HDD are running with F12 (Orange) and power key LEDs on and not blinking. I have tried the BIOS recovery keyboard combinations (Win Key+B/V), BIOS recovery using a flash drive, power cycles, reseating the memory modules and removing the CMOS battery, connecting another display via HDMI to no avail. Anyone knows what's happening here or has a solution for my problem? 

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Typically the warning indicates the hard drive has failed.  But it could be that something caused the boot loader to be corrupted and now Windows cannot find the info needed to boot.  Try running the Diagnostics routine to see for sure what has happened.

To run the Diagnostics routine, Start tapping the Esc key BEFORE starting the PC and then press the start button.
Keep tapping the Esc key until a popup menu shows. Then pick Diagnostics from that popup menu, F2.
Report back with the results.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, I still can't get anything on the screen, not even an error message. Seems like the screen is not coming on at all. I took off the HDD and booted from it via the USB port of another laptop, and the OS boots up ok. I think I need to figure out why the screen remains off, yet there was no physical manipulation of any sort with the hardware components before it restarted.

HP Recommended

One more thing I noticed that may shed more light on the problem. The drive light LED on the side and the LAN port white LED are both blinking simultaneously, about 2 times per second. 

HP Recommended

Those lights blinking might be normal, as they are indicating what might be OK behavior.

If the display will not come on but the drive seems to be normal when connected to another PC, it might be a display problem, as you suspect.

According to the spec page, that PC has HDMI and VGA outputs.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-250-g1-notebook-pc/5359430/document/c03772199

Try connecting an external display.  A TV with HDMI inputs might suffice for now.  See if anything displays with a different device for a monitor attached.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

I have tried this using my TV via the HDMI and nothing comes on..... The TV can detect its connected or disconnected, but nothing shows on the screen. What's left is trying this using the VGA port. I'll test this a give feedback on findings. 

HP Recommended

OK.  Waiting for a good outcome!

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Sorry for the delay in response. Had trouble getting a display with a VGA input. Got one, tested, and the problem persists. Anything else I can do?

HP Recommended

Being this is a laptop, it might be time to give a repair tech the opportunity to try.  I am out of ideas.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Yes, I think that's the next best alternative. I'll do so and update on findings and possibly a solution. Otherwise, thank you for your input and support on this.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.