Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
hp17-ar050wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I came home 2 nights ago and the laptop would not take my password; I tried several iterations. I noticed that the icon above the login box is "HP" which I do not believe is me. There is no clear way to "switch accounts" to allow ME to login as me. I spent 2+ hours on the phone with a tech friend but we could not figure it out. Everything we try requires logging in, but the only available account is "HP".

First: does anyone know WHY?!?!?!! would this happen? I know, HP wants me to give up and spend another month's wages on a new laptop...

Second: aside from a complete reset losing all my data and going back to factory settings... and aside from removing the hard drive and trying to save files, THEN resetting/reinstalling W10 (which I'll have to have someone else do as I am not smart enough... aside from those options is there anything else I can try?

thanks in advance for any help!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hey Gamerdork 🙂

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

According to the Community's Rules of Participation:

4d. No posts shall include instructions or directions intended to bypass or subvert security measures, including passwords, locking mechanisms, fingerprint scans, etc., or to bypass any safety measures.

Therefore, this topic is being locked. If you would like help resetting the password on your product, please Contact HP support in your region. 

Regards,

MarcusC

I work on behalf of HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.