Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion Power 15t-cb000 CTO Product number 1DU07AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently applied updates recommended by HP Support Assistant, including a BIOS update. Since applying those updates, my laptop intermittently locks up while streaming TV or watching You Tube videos. One of two things happens:

1. The video freezes and the sound "machine guns". Eventually the sound will stop but the PC remains locked and I have to force a shutdown.

2. A BSOD is displayed with a stop code. Two of the reasons displayed are:

a. IRQL not less or equal

b. Page fault in non-paged area

I ran SFC and it found and repaired a couple of files. I also ran DSIM as well and Windows Update and ran HP Support Assistant to look for new drivers. I also ran a procedure to roll back the BIOS update but got a message that there was no file found.

From what I have read it sounds like the problem may be a driver, but how would I know which driver it is? The lockup issue also occurred a couple of years ago and a PC repair shop said the fix was a firmware update. Unfortunately the person retired and none of the other shops in town want to deal with the issue. Any recommendations on what to do to resolve this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I finally resolved the problem. After applying the optional driver updates from Windows Update, I went to www,hp.com/go/techcenter/pcdiags and began applying driver updates from there. I eventually got brave and applied the BIOS update that was listed there. That fixed the problem! I don't understand what updates appear in HP Support Assistant, but none of the drivers on the techcenter page, including the BIOS update, were listed in HPSA. The lockups started after a BIOS update and another BIOS update corrected it.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

I forgot to mention that I also ran a bunch of hardware diagnostics and they didn't find any issues.

HP Recommended

I just had another BSOD and lockup. The stop code for this one was "Unexpected kernel mode trap".  I streaming a YouTube video and using Bluetooth for the first time so I don't know if this is part of the same problem or a different issue.

HP Recommended

@taherte2

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help,

Typically, BSODs result from driver software or issues with hardwareApps that crash sometimes cause blue screens of death if they’re broken or flawed.

• If you can isolate the actual Stop Error number or code, you can search the web for the cause of the exact error. Or refer to this helpful list of common BOSD error codes and their meanings.

First, figure out if you took any actions before the BSOD occurred. Did you install a new program, update a driver, or initiate other software changes? If you did any of these things, that may be what caused the BSOD.

Undo your last action and test for the STOP Error message. Depending on the change that occurred, these fixes may work:

• Start your PC using the Last Known Good Configuration
  • Utilize System Restore
  • Go back to the previous device driver before your latest update

If these do not fix the problem, here are some things to check:

• 1. Check for driver space because if there’s not enough, it may cause a BSOD to rear its ugly blue head
    Pro tip: We recommend Windows users aim to keep around 15% of their drive space free for optimal PC operation.
  • 2. Check the device’s temperature
    A device that’s overheating can lead to a system crash and a blue screen of death. Make sure that your PC has adequate cooling systems so you don’t risk this problem.
  • 3. Scan for malware and viruses
    There are viruses that can cause BSOD. In some cases, you won’t be able to get past the Blue Screen of Death to actually check for viruses, so you’ll have to use a bootable antivirus tool such as Bitdefender.
  • 4. Look for any patches
    Microsoft provides patches and service packs for operating systems that may include fixes for your BSOD.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the assistance.

1. How do I find the actual stop code when I get a BSOD? I didn't see it on the blue screen but maybe i didn't look close enough.

2. My last action(s) before this started was to apply the HP Support Assistant recommended updates, which included a BIOS update. Windows has since done some updates as well. How do I roll all of those back, including the BIOS update?

3. Will applying the last known good configuration roll back the BIOS update?

4. How do I check the laptop's temperature?

HP Recommended

@taherte2

Thank you for posting back. 

The Last Known Good Configuration might revert most recent changes have done in that BIOS also might roll back. And the stop code will appear when system run into BSOD. 

There are many options out there and lots of resources you can use to compare services. Here’s a list of few popular free and paid options with a few quick notes about each. HWMonitor CoreTemp and Open Hardware Monitor

Note: HP does not recommend to use Third party measuring apps as they are not tested by HP and may not be accurate. However, you could change the configuration at your own discretion.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It's too early to say that the problem is resolved but I did two things today and haven't had an issue since:

1. Put the laptop directly on the kitchen table instead of on the thick fabric place mat in case it was causing overheating.

2. Updated the Nvidia driver

a. In Windows update selected "View optional updates"

b. Opened "Driver updates"

c. Selected the Nvidia driver listed there

Since this has been an intermittent problem it's too early to know if fixed. Fingers crossed.

HP Recommended

@taherte2

Thank you for posting back. 

I am glad to know that you managed to resolve the issue. Work on it as per your convenience and keep me posted on the results.  

Have a nice day ahead.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I was hopeful that I had the problem resolved but last night while streaming a movie I had another "lockup". I didn't get a BSOD but the sound became a buzzing with the "machine gun" effect. The video wasn't completely locked but was partially overlaid with some objects and occasionally jumped but didn't play. Couldn't escape or CTL/ALT/DEL and had to force the system down. As usual, when I restarted the lighted keyboard had to be turned back on and the NUM LOCK was off.

HP Recommended

I am running Windows 10 Home version 21H1. Would now be a good time to upgrade to 21H2? Might that resolve the issue?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.