Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ProBook 455 G4 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello --- I just had to restart  / reboot my laptop --- software  update 

the screen when from  "logoff" to "shutdown" then black --  in the past it would start in a 

second or two 

this time the screen remained black for about 5 minutes --- what is  controlling this? 

is it a BIOS setting?  

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@fpefpe 

Given the date of your post, I would have expected someone to respond to it before this -- but since that has not happened, I will take a shot at it ...

From your description, it sounds like your PC might have done the recent Feature Upgrade -- to Win10 v1903 -- and if that is the case, it would be slow cleaning up from Windows Update.

Does it still take 5 minutes or so from the power on until you reach a working desktop?

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hello -- thx for your reply ... no, I have not got to 1903 yet -- hp is slow pushing that down I am  still on 1809 --  from a cold start up ( the machine has been off for some time ) start up seems normal  -- it just on a reboot  -- once the screen goes black it takes anywhere from 5 minutes or more  to start up again 

The way I been getting around this is when it goes to black, I wait 90 sec or so, the  power it off  (holding down the power button until  "lights" go off )  then power it back up   -- an it start  normally 

It really a problem when there are  multiple restart 

Thanks  for your help  

HP Recommended

@fpefpe 
OK ... if the problem is not on a cold start but only on a reboot, then my suspicion is that Fast Startup is causing the problem.

Win10 has enabled a new hibernation process known as Fast Startup -- which is enabled BY DEFAULT.
This is different from Fast Boot, which is a BIOS/UEFI option.

Fast Startup is supposed to dramatically speed up the booting process, but in some PCs, it actually slows it down or causes it to hang. It's also a new form of hibernation known as hybrid sleep -- and this causes battery drain to maintain the state of the PC while turned off.

Disabling Fast Startup might fix the booting problem.

There are two ways to disable FastStartup in Win10: (1) through the Control Panel, and (2) through an elevated command prompt.

Control Panel - Open Control Panel --> Power Options.
Select "Choose what the power buttons do"
Select "Change settings that are currently unavailable"
At the bottom of the Window, under Shutdown settings, uncheck the box regarding fast startup

Elevated command prompt - run the following command:
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power" /V HiberbootEnabled /T REG_dWORD /D 0 /F

In both cases, reboot Windows.

NOW, FastStartup is disabled.

See if that helps.

HP Recommended

hello -- thanks for your suggestion --- but the issue still  the same ---  an it seems to get weider  --- 

I made the change and when I turn on the computer the next day  it seem to take a long time to start  -- 

after a few hours of work, I tried a restart 

the OS shutdown,  the screen when black, and stood that way  for around 3 or 4  minutes -- the the hp logo appeared  -- just the logo -- it stood that way for a time --   not sure how long it seemed over  5  minutes --- and the spinning wheel never appeared  --  

at this point I  forced a power off and on  -- it started  (it seems longer) so  reset the "quick boot"  option in the power settings  -- 

this new BIOS format is new to me -- is a place where I can find a BIOS option that might control this? 

thanks again 

HP Recommended

@fpefpe 

The only BIOS option that affects boot speed is know  as Fast Boot -- and like Fast Startup, that is just another hibernation option -- and you might not be able to get to it because HP locks out the Advanced Options in their PCs.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.