Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Product Name: HP Pavilion dm4 1250-ca

Product Number: XZ301UA#ABC

Beep sound: https://soundcloud.com/wthhp/insydeh20

Hello,

I'm having an unusual problem with this laptop. When it's restarted from Windows, it makes what I believe to be 3 short beeps followed by a longer 4th beep. If I restart the laptop after this the laptop boots fine. If the laptop is cold booted, it also boots fine. I would go to the Insyde software site (http://www.insydesw.com/) but I'm getting warnings from my Sophos anti-virus that the site contains the Mal/HTMLGen-A malware. I haven't been able to find any information on the HP website about what these beep codes might be.  I've uploaded the sounds that the laptop is making to sound cloud in hopes someone here might be able to provide help.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Welcome Wthhp.

Beep codes here.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02222922

REO

HP Recommended

Sorry 

for Insyde H20 BIOS

HP Recommended

*bump*

HP Recommended

Rebumping this for you. I also cannot locate the the closest is that hp beep codes link thats passed around like a cheap thai hooker.

I receive a very wierd beep code

something like this, 1 long two short then 2 long 5 sets in total

Beeeeeep,beep,beep

beeeeeep,beeeeeeep

Beeeeeep,beep,beep

beeeeeep,beeeeeeep

Beeeeeep,beep,beep

Also my caps lock blinks 3 times before a pause and repeat.

Called hp they say the caps lock 3 times is a sign of a ram issue but according to their guide the long beep 2 short beeps are a video card issue but that doesent account for the 5 sets of wierd beeping intervals.

We need a insyde beep code guide cant imagine why theres not one available

HP Recommended

Most units share the system RAM with the video card.  It is quite possible that bad RAM modules/slots could trigger both a RAM post test and a video POST test as a result.  By chance, do you have a notebook that might use the same RAM to test with?

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

I have a computer with different type of kingston ram, I will try to switch in the ram from that computer to test

HP Recommended

You mentioned the unit has a different type of Kingston RAM.  What is the difference?  Is it still the same DDR type?  Let me know how the test goes.

I'll keep an eye out for a response.  🙂

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

Switched the ram still had same problem then switched it back still same problem but it has been working steadily now without the problem for 2 days. Though now I am having overheating issues where at random times if i keep computer on too long it goes over 90 degrees and shuts down. I have done as a poster suggested and cut larger vent holes not sure i want to go as far as changing the thermal paste quite yet.

Also new problem now that it works it hangs on a blank black screen on startup for about 10 minutes then starts. did all the memory tests hardisk tests etc with good results, unplugged all periferals still nothing

HP Recommended

@FreshPrince wrote:

Rebumping this for you. I also cannot locate the the closest is that hp beep codes link thats passed around like a cheap thai hooker.

I receive a very wierd beep code

something like this, 1 long two short then 2 long 5 sets in total

Beeeeeep,beep,beep

beeeeeep,beeeeeeep

Beeeeeep,beep,beep

beeeeeep,beeeeeeep

Beeeeeep,beep,beep

Also my caps lock blinks 3 times before a pause and repeat.

Called hp they say the caps lock 3 times is a sign of a ram issue but according to their guide the long beep 2 short beeps are a video card issue but that doesent account for the 5 sets of wierd beeping intervals.

We need a insyde beep code guide cant imagine why theres not one available

the beep code of 1 long, 2 short, 2 long is generally indicative of power issues. you might try a new power supply for that, if you still have this problem.

not to resurrect a dead post, but it may help someone in the future.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.