firstapex88
Level 2
12 11 0 12
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Motherboard also dead

Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I have the same problem, it seems like a bunch of us are getting dead motherboards around the same time... approximately 15 months after manufacturing. I'm guessing this is a systematic issue. HP really needs to fix these boards without changing customers that gave their product a chance. Customer service said it would be $500 to fix.
3 REPLIES 3
firstapex88
Level 2
12 11 0 12
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Motherboard also dead

I just got off the phone with HP Support and the diagnosis is just as I expected: I have a dead motherboard. I was using my Spectre x360 and all of a sudden I hear a pop and the computer shutsoff. A hard reset doesn't work; plugging in the AC charger elicits no response (no power on, no LED). All these symptoms point to a blown capacitor, which seems to be a reoccuring issue in these forums. I bought this laptop when it was first revealed at over $1000, and now its dead, just a few months after the default warranty expired. HP, what can I do when this is considered a manufacturing defect?

Tonya60
Level 1
5 3 0 2
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Motherboard also dead

I have the same problem with my x360 and around the same time ithe motherboard died as you discribed. We I researched the problem on the web, lots of entries with the same exact problem popped up. HP should have a recall or fix these motherboards even it is out of warranty. I guess it will be a hard fight before HP admit any faulty design and agree to fix the problem for free.

Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,419 21,032 1,380 2,180
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Motherboard also dead

Hi @Tonya60,

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will contact you shortly and likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (such as serial numbers and case details).

I hope you have a good day,

Regards, 

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation