cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alixaria
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Motherboard crashed for no reason and laptop won't shut down after it has been replaced

HP Recommended
Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

I've had a HP Spectre x360 for less than 3 years, and am using it mainly to work on projects that don't require much from it. I was just typing in Latex when the computer shut down and wouldn't start again. After asking a computer repair center, I found out that I had to replace the motherboard that had crashed.

After replacing the part (which was already more expensive than what I had paid for the laptop, but I needed the data in it), I found out that the file I was working on was corrupted, and I lost 2 years worth of work. In addition to that, my laptop now won't turn off (it restarts as soon as I try) unless the battery dies.

I know my warranty is expired, but I cannot really understand how a solid state drive laptop that is less than 3 years old can just stop working, and I would really appreciate any recommendations to get my data back and a solution for a laptop that won't shut off (this is a fire hazard in my house).

Thank you in advance.

1 REPLY 1
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
32,814 32,714 2,976 7,308
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Alixaria 

First of all, your data was NOT on the motherboard; it was on the drive -- and even if that is an SSD, while those are sometimes NOT easily removed by consumers, laptop repair facilities CAN remove them.  Instead of selling you a new motherboard, the repair facility should have removed the drive and done data recovery.

Plus you said you lost TWO YEARS of work!  And, in two years, you did not bother to spend 10 minutes and $10 on a USB stick to back up SOME of that work?

Your best bet for recovering data now is to do the following:
1) Remove the disk drive from the old PC. If this is a SATA hard drive or a SATA SSD, this is a simple thing to do. If this is an m.2 SSD, that could be either screwed to the motherboard or soldered to the motherboard. If the second, you would need to have a techician remove it for you, or you risk seriously damaging the PC doing it yourself.
2) If you have a desktop PC with a spare hard drive connector, then connect the old drive to that. If the old drive is a SATA drive, connect both the power cable and the data cable. If the old drive is an m.2 SSD, you will need a USB-to-mSATA cable.

3) Try to retrieve the files and folders you want to save from the old drive and copy them to the new PC.

If this does not work, then you need to do the following:
1) Download and install this utility on a working PC http://www.majorgeeks.com/news/story/recover_data_in_3_steps_with_minitool_power_data_recovery_free_...
2) Run the data recovery utility to see what can be retrieved from the old drive.

If that tool does not find what you need, an alternative is Recuva http://www.piriform.com/recuva

And, if that does not work well, the best tool out there is this one, but only the demo version is free https://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation