Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv6 notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I just converted Windows 10 from legacy to UEFI with MBR2GPT tool.
At the end of the process, they say we must change a BIOS setting to make Windows restart. But I can't find BIOS option to change from legacy to UEFI. (while it is present in the BIOS of the tutorial).

How can I update the BIOS (without Windows, it can't start for the moment) to make the option appear ?

Thanks a lot

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

What is the product number of your notebook?

Use this guide to find that information.

HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Product Name or Number? | HP® Customer Support

Please do not post the serial number.

I believe that only the dv6-7200 model series dv6-7300 have a UEFI BIOS, and secure boot.

In order for a PC to have secure boot, the PC must have come with Windows 8 or newer installed from the factory, or at least have a W8 product key in the BIOS.

Maybe the dv6-6xxx series has a UEFI BIOS too, but I am not sure.

None of the dv6-6xxx or dv6-7000 notebooks have secure boot.

Anything older would not have a UEFI BIOS.

HP Recommended

Thanks !

my laptop is the HP Pavilion dv6-6051sf.

If it can't support UEFI Bios, how could I do then ? I can't launch windows anymore. I would like to recover my files and settings, is it possible ?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The only suggestion I can offer would be to see if you can convert back to MBR if you can find a free program that allows you to boot from it, in order to use it.

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen 

You are correct -- I have a 6-series HP DV6 and it does not have the option for UEFI even though the HP website provides a download for a UEFI diagnostics tool.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hello, thanks for your answers !

But I can't find any free software to do this task (converting from GPT to MBR on a bootable drive).

Do you know any tool which could do that ?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I did a search and unfortunately all I could find were programs that you had to install on Windows.

The only bootable program I could find erases the hard drive.

What I suggest you do is to remove the drive, buy a SATA to USB cable and see if you can read/copy any files you want to save onto a working PC.

Sabrent USB 3.0 pour SSD/HDD Adaptateur Disque Dur 2,5 Pouces SATA [Optimisé pour SSD, Support UASP ...

Then you can reinstall Windows.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.