Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 17ak05nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently bought a new computer, and it reboots Every Single Day at the same time, between 10:15-11:15 am.  I called HP and they thought it might be a bad computer, and replaced it with a new one.  This one does it also.  I have owned HPs for years, and my previous computer never rebooted once.  The screen goes black, and then several minutes later it goes back to the home page and I have to log in again, and restore my pages.

I have no idea why this is occurring or how to stop it.  As I said, I never had this problem with the old one, so I have no idea why it is happening.  It is very frustrating and I would appreciate any help you can give.  Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Did it start happening right after you got the PC or only after you installed some of your programs?

You might want to check the Task Scheduler just in case to see if there is something periodic happening at those times.

Just type Task Scheduler in the Windows search and click on the program when found. Then click on the small arrow head beside Active Tasks to see if you have something scheduled between the times you mentioned. If you find something use Google to search with the task name if it's not immediately obvious what it is about.

People are using their precious remaining lifetime to try and help, so it is common courtesy to come back and tell what the solution eventually was even if you found it elsewhere. It is for the benefit of everyone.
HP Recommended

It happened from day one, before installing any new programs.  And I've only loaded one program - the same one that I've had on all my computers .  It's never caused any problems before and I've never been in that program when it happens.  I checked Task Manager and there's nothing set to occur every day.  

The only thing I see on Task Manager within that time frame is Distributed COM.  

HP Recommended

If you Google for: distributed com causes reboot

you will find that you are not alone if it makes you feel any better :Crying:

If you restrict the search to within the last year, you may find stuff more relevant to your case.

People are using their precious remaining lifetime to try and help, so it is common courtesy to come back and tell what the solution eventually was even if you found it elsewhere. It is for the benefit of everyone.
HP Recommended

Can't.  I've only had the computer since January - the first one.  They sent the second one beginning of February.  Both of them have the same problem, rebooting every day between 10:15 and 11:15.  No new programs.  No nothing.  It started from day one.  I never had this problem with my last HP computer.  All I did was transfer all the info from that one to this one.  Never added any new programs.  So there's not much to restrict it to - a month or so.

I'm beginning to think it's a Windows 10 problem and wish I could go back to a previous version.  Never had any problems until I started using it.  

The Event IDs are 10016.   And I've checked Google, and you're right, I'm not alone.  But I can't live with a computer that reboots every single day while I'm using it.  

HP Recommended

From what I read it certainly sounds like a Windows issue.

Do you do something special at those times? Have a break or something? Does the laptop go to sleep/hibernate before or at those times?

It's a long shot but you might try disabling the hibernate mode for a few days  and see if it changes anything.

Save your work and start a Command Prompt in Admin mode.

Then check the current sleep states by typing the command:

powercfg /availablesleepstates

You will probably see that hibernation is available and based on that also Fast Startup

Disable hibernation by typing the command:

powercfg /hibernate off

And then do a clean reboot by typing:

shutdown /r

You can turn hibernation back on using the command:

powercfg /hibernate on

HP Recommended

Nope.  I'm working on it and right in the middle of typing the screen goes black, it starts the circling, and then after a few minutes nothing.  Then I use my mouse and it's back to the home screen and I have to log in all over again.  Sometimes I'm checking my mail, other times I'm typing for work (I work at home - and it's not that, because I haven't loaded any programs for work - I email everything).  Always when I'm doing something.   I've left the computer on all day today and it hasn't done it once since.  It only happens once a day, but that's too much; it shouldn't do it at all.  I can't believe HP is turning out defective computers, but I can't figure out why it's doing this. 

HP Recommended

Actually HP is very good at publishing software fixes as soon as they are found.  I assume you have been to the support pages and searched for the latest updates with the serial number of your laptop.

https://support.hp.com/ee-en/document/bph07165

The thing is that the Windows environment is very complex and frustrating at times when you happen to have an issue.

Seems the latest big Windows 10 update, Fall Creators Update 1709, has caused problems for some. Also Intel upgraded their processors via a BIOS update a while ago but had to take the update back because of some issues, so you should check if your BIOS version is affected (from the HP support pages).

I looked  at my own log with the Event Viewer program and noticed that there is at least one persistent DistributedCOM issue that seems to pester almost everyone with the event code 10016" The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID ..."

That does not seem to cause any problems for me though so you should probably look for something else as well in the Error category.

Since you saw the same issue on two new computers, it's probable that it should be familiar for the HP support as well but sometimes it takes time to connect the dots. I would be surprised if it was only the two machines unless there is something very special in your environment, maybe the network or malware etc.

I'm by no means a Windows expert so hopefully better qualified people will chime in.

You could also try tenforums.com where I have seen Windows Gurus hang out.

HP Recommended

I've done a fair deal searching on the net today and the problem seems to be quite elusive.

Numerous people are reporting similar issues after the 1709 Fall Creators Windows update. Seems there is not much of a trace in the logs to help out.

There are suspicions that it might be an incompatible or incompletely installed device driver or maybe an incompatible antivirus software etc.

One person reported that he had got rid of the problem by uninstalling and reinstalling the latest graphics card driver. Maybe this goes for other drivers as well.

Another reported that his problem went away after he unistalled the HP 3630 series printer software.

Reverting back to Windows 1703 seems to have helped as well but that option is only available for a short time after the update (10 days or even less).

Someone is suggesting maybe a failed update that automatically retries but to me it should indicate taht if you are working. You can check by searching for Schedule in the Windows search and see if anything is scheduled.

If the reboot is happening in the graphics driver it's possible that it is actually a BSOD or Blue Screen Of Death but you just do not see it because the screen is out. You should nevertheless be able to get a memory dump if configured. The dump can then be analyzed later.  Instructions for configuring the dump generation can be found here:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5560-configure-windows-10-create-minidump-bsod.html

My default settings seem to be that the memory dump is configured as 'automatic' and the file should appear in %SYSTEMROOT%, which is usually C:\WINDOWS

So if you see a MEMORY.DMP file in your C:\WINDOWS it's a clear indication of a BSOD crash which could be further investigated.

HP Recommended

Did you ever get this resolved?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.