Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
DV6-7250CA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My DV6-7250CA will not boot from 1Tb USB SSD. It boots fine from a 8Gb USB Stick. I cannot get the boot priority to show the USB hard drive as an option.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@ctwinter2 

Since this model did not come with an SSD (as far as I know), then this must be new -- so we need to know what you did to prepare the SSD for use with this laptop -- which might tell us why it is not booting from it.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I purchased the SSD just recently and formatted it with my Windows 10 operating system, just the same as the 8Gb stick that works fine. I think part of the problem is that the boot bios does not have the usb/hd as a boot option, even though it is first on the boot order list. 

HP Recommended

@ctwinter2 

Apparently, I did not ask my question properly -- so I will try again.

You said you "formatted" the drive -- which only puts partitions on it, not an OS.

So, did you INSTALL Win10 to the SSD, or did you just format the drive and copy stuff to it?

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

OK...I thought that when I formatted a drive it also put the OS on it. How do I prepare the USB/SSD to be able to boot from it?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.