Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 15-r063tu Notebook
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi,

For quite sometime now, I have been facing this peculiar problem with my HP 15-r063tu Notebook. I had to replace the HDD in it which was failing the DST tests during diagnostics, and install the Windows 8.1 64-bit OS afresh on the newly installed HDD using my original DVDs. While this went off well, after a few weeks, it abruptly started booting into the Recovery screen instead of booting into Windows. Ever since, I have been having to press the F9 key during bootup, choose Windows Boot Manager installed on the HDD (it mentions the HDD Serial No/Model No too) which then boots to Windows from my HDD.

In some other posts in this forum some folks said my UEFI info may have got corrupted and suggested various steps to 'correct' it. I have followed those steps with no success. Incidentally, my DVD drive isn't working anymore, so I wonder if the motherboard has some partial defect, as this is a 4 year old notebook. But, after booting into Windows, it works fine, with no signs of any hardware or software glitch.

Will be grateful if someone can help fix this issue, as I wish to consider replacing my HDD (5400rpm) with an SSD to improve performance of the system. As the notebook is out of warranty, I won't get any support from HP Service Centre without my having to spend a good amount of money, when the laptop will barely fetch me a couple of grands if I sell it/exchange it when buying a new laptop.

Thanks for reading the long post. Await help from experts on this forum !

Cheers

Ramesh

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @Ramesh-Iyer

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Try these steps - 

1) Shutdown the computer. 
2) Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears. 
3) Press F10 once for BIOS. 
4) Press F9 for BIOS defaults. 
5) Press F10 to save and exit. 

Try changing the boot order to computer's hard drive. Refer to this document for steps.

If the issue still persists, try re-installing the operating system. Back-up the data and try these steps -

1. Shutdown the computer. 
2. Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears. 
3. Press F11 once for System Recovery. 
4. Choose the Keyboard Layout. 
5. Click on Troubleshoot. 
6. Go to Recovery Manager and click on System Recovery. 
Note : Back-up all your data as System Recovery will delete everything that you had saved or installed on the computer. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks Asmita. I had already tried both the options mentioned by you. My Boot order is set to Windows Boot Manager which points to the local HDD, yet it always boots to Recovery mode. In some other forum I was informed that the newer systems in the past few years are managed by UEFI and not BIOS, and that my UEFI data is likely corrupted. Some posts in other forums mention elaborate steps to fix the UEFI data too, but those too didn't help fix my issue. Not sure if UEFI data is stored on the HDD or written to a chip, like BIOS upgrades do.

As this a forum exclusively for HP products, thought I could get more credible support / help. Am sure experienced HP Technicians would know the cause of my issue. Unfortunately my HP 15 r063tu Notebook is out of warranty hence can't take it to an ASC and spend more than what the laptop is worth now, after 4 years 🙂

Would be grateful if someone knowlegable about this issue can guide me. Thanks again.

Cheers

Ramesh

HP Recommended

@Ramesh-Iyer

I'd suggest you reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding this issue, they should be able to help!

Thanks!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Asmita6658

Well, I did and the estimated cost for merely having my issue diagnosed was so high, even my laptop isn't worth that much 🙂

Hence, I came to this forum to seek help, as it's  probably only a s/w issue I can fix myself, with some guidance. Thanks anyway !

Cheers

Ramesh

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.