Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 17-y057nf

Hello,

I have a problem on my computer, it can no longer boot on a hard drive or USB stick (it makes a black screen and then reboots) but it manages to boot on the bios.

So I tried several things:
- an update of the bios (This did not work)
- A reset of the bios (This did not work)
- A change of the CMOS battery (This did not work)

Thank you for your help in advance !

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try performing HP hardware diagnostics at boot and see if there are any hardware problems. There could be a problem with the Hard Drive.

Turn off the PC by holding the power button until complete shutdown.

Turn on the PC and repeatedly press ESC until startup menu appears.

Press F2 to enter diagnostics.

Try performing the system fast test or Hard Drive test and see if there are any failure ids.

Let me know,

David

HP Recommended

Thank you for your answer !

I tried, but he’s showing me this.
SMART Check: PASSED
Short DST: Not available
I think "not avaibable” comes from the fact that there is no operating system on my ssd but I can’t reinstall one because it makes me a black screen if I boot on a USB stick even with legacy boot enabled and secure boot disabled

HP Recommended

Iomare, your suggestions and advice have actually helped me fix my computer.  It got me to think about getting into this CMOS and to look more carefully at the buttons.

It turns out that when my desktop is plugged in, the the power looking button at the back allows access to some kind of settings feature while an insignificant looking contraption on the side turns on the computer to start the booting up process.  I will get my WI-FI in a few days so although it is helpless right now, at least it is not dead and as loud as that Cortana lady hollers instructions, in a few days, "the mother of all desktops", as they are referring to it in Best Buy, could turn out to be a kickazz computer.  Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.