Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 3 (80 Views)

My HP EliteBook 740 will not start.

Product Name: HP EliteBook 740 G1
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
When the battery is in my laptop the power button (the one used to turn the laptop on and off) is solid on. Along with the caps lock led and along with the white led on the front of the laptop marked with the power button's symbol. The battery light on the front of the laptop flashes orange approximate every second. None of these lights change or respond to any buttons being pressed. When I remove the battery they go away, but they will come back again if I either plug in the battery or plug in an ac power source without the battery. Throughout all of this nothing at all comes up on the screen and no other lights will turn on.
0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Message 2 of 3 (67 Views)

Re: My HP EliteBook 740 will not start.

Hello @Bengrf,

Its normally the Charger of the laptop or the Power input jack is bad

The LED flashing three times just means that it knows that there is a battery there, but it doesn't have enough power to run the laptop. 

Your battery has died because your power cord has not been supplying power to your PC. You would not be aware at this point that the laptop was running from the battery. The battery has just run out of charge.

The best thing would be to do is see if anyone has a battery like yours and try it with the new battery fully charged.

You might want to take a look at this document: Battery Does not Power Notebook or Hold a Charge.

It suggests troubleshooting steps to determine if the problem is the battery, the power supply, or the system board.

You might find the answer to your battery/power issue as you work through the steps in that HP support article.

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again !!

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee 

Highlighted
Honor Student
Message 3 of 3 (55 Views)

Re: My HP EliteBook 740 will not start.

Thanks for the response but I don't think that is the problem. I've had a dead battery due to failed charging before (in fact it was less than 3 months ago) and the symptoms are not the same
1. The cord was shown to not charge on the laptop before it went. Last night the battery operated and was charging fine. 2. The cord is brand new and shows no singhs of damage or overheating. 3. The led light is not flashing in groups of 3, it is flashing continuously. Which is distinctly different from the light pattern I had before on the same machine

Right now I'm going to try and run down problems and prove that the charge is not the problem.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation