Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 15-ay000 Notebook PC series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My nephew was using my HP Notebook - 15-ay077nr when it shut off. I don't think the batter was dead, but I can't know for sure. I don't know if any messages popped up because my nephew is 10 and all I got from him was that the laptop just shut off suddenly. It would not power on when the power button was pressed. No LED or beep codes. When I originally plugged the AC Adapter in, the LED light came on and showed solid white. An hour or two later and the LED light stopped coming on when plugging in the AC Adapter. No LED lights, no beep codes, no noise, absolutely nothing when you plug the AC Adapter in, nothing happens when I try to start it up on batter only nor when I try with just the AC Adapter plugged in. The charging port works fine, I pulled it out and used it on another laptop, same with the AC Adapter. I tried changing the RTC battery and it didn't work. I removed and reinserted the RAM. I'm thinking a hardware failure, motherboard maybe? CPU? Any ideas? Any ideas on how to test individual components?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Cbolin103 Welcome to HP Community!

Have you attempted to connect the device to an alternate power cord or adapter?

Or check with another wall outlet, excluding any surge protectors to check if it works?

While you respond to that, here's the best way to resolve the issue, using the HP Guided Troubleshooter: 

CLICK HERE FOR STEP BY STEP GUIDE

(simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern).

If the above doesn't help or the steps are insufficient, check the below steps:

Let's start with a hard reset of your notebook computer before you try any other troubleshooting steps.

Reasons for a hard reset

A hard reset has the following effects:

• Clears the memory.

• Reestablishes the connection between the BIOS and the hardware

The following conditions can be helped by the hard reset:

• Windows stop responding.

• The display suddenly goes blank.

• The computer does not wake from sleep or hibernate modes.

• Software applications freeze or fail to respond.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Keep me posted, as I (Or a trusted colleague) shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed, 

And your device is up and running again, only in case you don't get back to us, first! 

That said, If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us, and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I mentioned in my post that I used the ac adapter port and the ac adapter plugged into the same power outlet on another laptop and everything worked just fine. I've gone through the troubleshooter already and nothing worked. It is obviously a hardware failure on the system board, I just don't know how to isolate which component. 

HP Recommended

@Cbolin103 I appreciate the clarification, that said, if you've gone through all the other steps I had suggested as well, this could be an issue with the DC-port on the motherboard and replacing it should ideally fix the issue, and I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.