Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv6-6c03tx
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Dear All,

I am using HP Pavilion dv6-6c03tx laptop with Windows 7 64 bit. Yesterday while running, the laptop suddenly had a black out and without any warning or message the power went off (Battery was full and it was also connected with power cable). After that when I tried to start, it showed me the option of "Using safe mode or Normal". I tried both options, but all the time the laptop stucks at Windows loading logo/screen and after few minues again it powered off suddenly.

I did a diagnostic test using of 'Start-up', 'Memory' and 'Hard Disk' but everything said OK and Passed. Then I tried for system restore through safe mode. I went through the wizard, after all steps it said me to reboot. But when I reboot the system, it again stucks at the Windows loading screen/logo and after few minues again it powered off suddenly.

One more information I should tell. When the laptop stucks at the Windows loading screen/logo, the fan is running very fast and after few minutes laptop becomes hot.

Requesting for your help on the same.

Thanks in Advance

M Sofily

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Sofily

You're welcome and thanks for replying with the information.

Though youth run the hardware tests and it passed, please try to remove the extra memory out and check if the laptop boots up properly.

Otherwise, the only solution I can think of is to reinstall the Windows operating system. This laptop originally came with Win7. My previous post contains the steps to perform a system recovery.

Let me know.

Cheers! 🙂

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Sofily

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

MKazi is at your service. 

I understand that you have an HP Pavilion dv6-6c03tx Entertainment Notebook and it does not boot to Win7. I appreciate your efforts in troubleshooting this issue and have certainly done a good job. You have done a remarkable job in troubleshooting this issue. 

The evidence points towards the operating system as the hardware tests have passed. I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Power on the laptop and and press f8 key repeatedly. On the Windows Advanced Boot Option screen, select one or more of the following options. Select them one at a time and press the enter key to attempt a system restart.

• Repair Your Computer allows Windows to run diagnostic tests.

• Last Known Good Configuration (Advanced) to return settings to an earlier point in time.

• Select Safe Mode and then run a Microsoft System Restore to an earlier point in time.

• Select Safe Mode and then Uninstall recently installed software programs.

From the above options, you may attempt to repair your computer and if that does not work then try the last known good configuration.

If the laptop does not boot up then  the next step would be to perform a system recovery, but that will delete all the information and reinstall the factory image of Win7 on the laptop. You may follow the steps mentioned in "Steps to follow for Recovery from the startup screen (during system boot) OR when unable to boot to login in screen" in case you have not created the recovery media: https://hp.care/2jVFGjD

I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Let me know how it goes.

All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

Dear MKazi,

Thanks for your response. I have done further troubleshooting steps. Please find the details below:

1. Safe Mode:

I tried but the system again stucks at Windows loading logo/screen and after few minues it powered off suddenly.

2. Safe Mode with Networking:

I am able to get the command prompt only, could not see the start button. I run the below ommands:-

C:\Windows\system32>chkdisk C: /f

Here I entered 'y'

​C:\Windows\system32>shutdown /r

Once the system rebooted it started checkdisk. On the result, I could see

34621520 USN bytes processed

Usn Journal verification completed.

CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the master file table (MFT) bitmap.

CHKDISK discovered free space marked as allocation in the volume bitmap.

Windows has made corrections to the file system.

234434559 KB total disk space.

205890916 KB in 171107 files.

107544 KB in 32660 indexes.

0 KB in bad sectors.

372631 KB occupied by the log file

28063468 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.

58608639 total allocation units on disk.

7015867 allocation units available on disk.

Windows has finished checking your disk.

Please wait while your computer restarts.

Now, once the system restarts, the Windows loading logo/screen appears. Once the logo disappears I get a black screen and after sometime again without any message it powered off suddenly.

3. System Recovery:

I tried for system recovery to a last good known configuration but receives "recovery not supported under current configuration please enable acceleration option" message.

4. Start-up Repair:

I also tried for start up repair but receives "startup repair create file fail" message.

5. System Restore:

I tried to do a system restore. I selected the 3rd last restore point (skipped the last 2 restore points) but once the system rebooted at the end of the process, it again stucks at Windows loading logo/screen and after few minues again it powered off suddenly.

Please let me know what should I do next. I forgot to mention that on my blank slot, I put an additional 4 GB RAM and using a total 8 GB RAM for the last 8-9 months.

Thanks in Advance

HP Recommended

@Sofily

You're welcome and thanks for replying with the information.

Though youth run the hardware tests and it passed, please try to remove the extra memory out and check if the laptop boots up properly.

Otherwise, the only solution I can think of is to reinstall the Windows operating system. This laptop originally came with Win7. My previous post contains the steps to perform a system recovery.

Let me know.

Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Dear MKazi,

Thanks for your response.

I will remove the extra RAM and will try to boot the system today. I will post the result here.

However, I have one question. I understand that if the above fails then I only have the solution of reinstalling of Windows as you mentioned. On my system the D partition contains only System recovery. Now, I have already created 2 more partitions. I do not have any personal data on my C however my many important data is there on partitions. Please confirm if I do a reinstall of Windows (as per your instruction), will the data in the other two partitions be safe and not deleted??

Thanks in Advance

M Sofily

HP Recommended

@Sofily

Glad to have you back.

When you perform a system recovery, all the data (including the data on the other partitions too) will get deleted and also the other partitions will get deleted. The laptop will go back to it's original factory condition. 

There will be a C drive and a D (recovery partition) drive post a system recovery. 

Hope this answers your question. 

Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Dear MKazi,

Yes it works. I removed the additional the RAM and boot up the system. It was successful. I am happy.

However, I would like to know what exactly happended to the RAM. Please tell me if there is any process to know that.

Thanks a lot for your time

Regards,

M Sofily

HP Recommended

@Sofily

Your're most welcome. Fabulous diagnostics, spectacular analysis of the issue by you. Kudos to you for that.

I understand that by removing the additional RAM the laptop booted fine into Windows. You may run a hardware test on the laptop's motherboard with the additional RAM out. The following steps will help:

• Please download and install the HP UEFIhardware test tool via this link: https://hp.care/2LblhDK
  • Turn on the laptop and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

Figure : Selecting Component Tests from the main menu

Selecting Component Tests from the main menu

• The Component Tests menu displays. Your Component Tests menu might be different, depending on the components installed on your computer.

Figure : Sample list of Component Tests

Sample List of the Component tests

• Please initiate a test on the System Board Test - The System Board Test checks your system to make sure the components on the system board are functioning properly. (This test is not available in the Windows version of the hardware diagnostics at this time.) To run the test, click System Board, and then click Run once.

Another way you may try to insert this RAM into the other memory slot by removing the other (good) RAM out. If the laptop boots up this way then it means that the additional RAM is good. 

Hope this helps. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended
Dear MKazi,

The issue has been reoccurred. This time I did a factory reset. However, once I reboot the system again it stucks at the Windows loading screen/logo. Sometimes I could see a very quick Blue screen and the system goes power off. Once I able to capture the same, it says STOP : 0x00000124 error.
Please suggest.

Regards,
M Sofily
HP Recommended

@Sofily

It looks like you were interacting with @MKazi, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out,

I'm the Flower_Bud & I'm at your service.

Thanks for responding, 

Since you have tried possible steps, I would suggest you contact our phone support:

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:

* Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

* Enter Product number or select to auto detect

* Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

* Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get a Case & phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.