4 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My HP Pavillion won't shut itself down.

Pavillion 17-g12nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hello fellow HP customers,

For the past few weeks I've started experiencing an issue with my laptop. When I turn it off it seems like it works just fine. But once the blackscreen kicks in it won't actually turn itself off. The on/off button keeps on aswell and I could still hear the fan blowing.
(It actually seems like it's sleeping).

I've tried changing my on/off button's settings, so that once you click the button it'll shut itself down. But this did not solve the problem.
Neither did turning off the 'quick-startup' option.
(Option that creates a backup when shutting down your computer, so it'll start up faster when turning it on).

Can anyone help me solve this problem? Because now I have to hold the on/off button for about 5 seconds to shut it down manually. This move can't be good.

Sincerely,

Jorden
3 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
49432 9845 16746
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the following.

Open Settings and select System.  Select Power and sleep, then click on Additional power settings - in the following window, click on 'Choose what the power button does' in the left hand pane.

In the subsequent window, first click on 'Change settings that are currently unavailable' ( near the top of the Window ) and then remove the checkmark from the box against 'Turn on fast start-up (recommended)'.  Click the Save Settings button, then close any open windows and restart the notebook.

When windows has reloaded, download the IMEI driver directly from Intel on the following link, unzip the package and run the installer.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26127/Intel-Management-Engine-Consumer-Driver-for-Intel-NU...

When the installation has completed, restart the notebook.

When the machine has reloaded, re-enable Fast Start-up and reboot the notebook once again - let Windows fully load for a few minutes before checking.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
Jordendk Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello DavidPK,

Thank you for your quick reply!

The Intel Management Consumer seems to be already on my computer.
However when I try to run it the message appears that certain components are missing.
So is it safe to delete this whole file and download it again via the link you've mentioned?

Now that I'm going to sleep, I've turned my PC off and it actually did shut itself down.
(After adjusting your first few steps).

However when I usually use my computer I spend roughly 1-2 hours on it. (This time it was like 20 minutes). So it only seems to happen when my laptop is actually warmed up or something like that. I've read posts where people claim it's actually trying to cool itself down. But I think that conclusion is irrelevant because after a few hours it's still on somehow.

Anyways, long story short; I hope your method will work. Thanks!

Jorden

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
49432 9845 16746
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome

The latest IMEI version from Intel should just over-write the existing installation - this often corrects the issue you're describing regarding incomplete shutdown.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation